Bait

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
like 3-4 inch squares, sometimes you get an off cut that's an awkward shape...

So are they just salted or soaked in some kind of oil ?? How do they fish or are they just for something in the pot for longer sets when the regular bait burns up ? We have a bad flea problem here, the bait will be gone in 3 hours so i'm always looking for something to last, i tried the blocks that Brooks sells they didn't fish very well but the fleas took a long time to eat them up.
Fleas on gunnel.jpg

Fleas on gunnel.jpg

Last edited:

Prdlobster

Commander
So are they just salted or soaked in some kind of oil ?? How do they fish or are they just for something in the pot for longer sets when the regular bait burns up ? We have a bad flea problem here, the bait will be gone in 3 hours so i'm always looking for something to last, i tried the blocks that Brooks sells they didn't fish very well but the fleas took a long time to eat them up.
View attachment 12525

If you have a fillet house up your way see if they will let you have the skins off the fillet. The skins work well when we have a flea problem down here.

JimRP31

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Willis Beal/RP 31
how big are the pieces of that stuff ? Its cowhide soaked in a fish oil right ??

Yes cowhide soaked in fish oil. The pieces i get out of my barrel are about 5 X 8 but the size does vary. The sand fleas do not like it. I have 5 recreational pots and I check them once or twice a week. The bait lasts one to two weeks, before I have to add bait. Plus I never throw anything away I just keep adding bait.

Lucky Ticket

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Northcoast
Cow hides salted work good here in ma when then fleas are around. Also fish skins everyhaul, hides last 3-4 weeks. I buy the hides and salt myself. If you know any farmers or any animal auctions that helps.should be a lot cheaper.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Steve,Have Brooks send you some flea bags.They are made from a finer mesh material. You could use your same bait,and it should last longer.

I tried them a couple of years ago, didn't work, the bait lasted but no shrimp in the pots !! I use bait jars and the holes in them(aprox 3/16") let the bait break up and come out like a chum slick which seems to get the shrimp into the pots but when the fleas come its all over, baits gone in hours.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
If you have a fillet house up your way see if they will let you have the skins off the fillet. The skins work well when we have a flea problem down here.

I'll try that but halibut and salmon skins are pretty dry(no oil) and it seems like the shrimp like the oily bait better, the pellets we use for bait seems to ooze oil for days unless the fleas eat them up.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Cow hides salted work good here in ma when then fleas are around. Also fish skins everyhaul, hides last 3-4 weeks. I buy the hides and salt myself. If you know any farmers or any animal auctions that helps.should be a lot cheaper.

Moose and caribou hides ???

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I tried some other hide bait that i got as a sample, hung it in the pot hauled after 3 hours and all that was left was the hanging twine i hung it in the pot with, those little bastages ate it all !!! The fleas do a great job of cleaning up bear skulls though.

Top Bottom