Balsa Core Rot in 31' Rampage

sea duck

Lieutenant
Boat Make
31'JC 36 Harris 42'Bruno,55'Bruno,80' Shrimper,now 31'Rampage
Hi Guy's,
I'm looking for any imput on balsa core rot/wetness.I just looked at a 31' Rampage and she had a 6"crack on the chine starboard side.The boat has been out of the water since December but the crack is dripping steady! Also the top deck is "SPUNGY" all around where the bow railin attaches. and there are hollow spots through out the hull and as usuall around the through hull fittings. The hull itself needs to be completely sanded and painted . Looking for any input or horror stories.
Thanks for your input /time
Sea Duck:)

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
I wouldn't do it unless it was an heirloom or was being paid. It's not good math. To properly get all of the wet core out you need to cut the boat apart and basically rebuild the entire thing, hull, top, everything.

sea duck

Lieutenant
Boat Make
31'JC 36 Harris 42'Bruno,55'Bruno,80' Shrimper,now 31'Rampage
Sunds like the thing to do.
Thanks MEN!!!

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
The water that is dripping out is only what is above the crack in the chine. I cannot image how much water is trap in the hull below the crack in the chine. The only way to repair the core is to remove the top layer of glass a very big job. Doing a soft spot on a deck where it is nice & flat & square is on thing. Cutting gunnels and rounding corners gets pretty high tec. Plus you still have not addressed trap water below the chine crack.

Top Bottom