Balsa core

VPC

Lieutenant Commander
balsa

Bruno and Stillman pretty much ruined their reputation below the waterline has always been an interesting topic IMO i think balsa was utilized more when cores became of age and as most builders will say areas that are going to have any sort of openings valves, transducers and so on need to be addressed in special ways. I myself would be afraid of it.

Sailorgp

Commander
Boat Make
Sisu 26
My 1985 Sisu 26 is balsa cored down to within 18" of the keel. I've owned it 3 years and as a part of the maintenance plan I removed/replaced the thru hulls, engine intake, depth sounder transducer, transom step bolts and also cut into the hull to install a bow thruster. I've never found any core damage. The boat was very well built with a lot of care.

VPC

Lieutenant Commander
sisu

that's a good point i was at their shop 25 yrs ago

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
No one doubts the builders ability to apply core,(or apply glass to core) the problem comes down the road when an uninformed boat yard worker slaps a couple thru hulls in with out proper decoring and filling. Many will decore the hole, not many will go deep enough to decore the mounting bolts, screws etc. How many spray rails are screwed in, even bolted. Every time you hit a dock, get put in the slings etc, things wiggle, and water finds its way. I am with VPC on this one, for me, there will never be a balsa hull. Limited if any upside, huge potential downside. You can ask any one of the New Engleand boat builders for their opinion,
some of the best are here every day.

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
I'm a big fan of solid glass your not saving that much wieght on the Hull the house is a different story

charlesosgood

Lieutenant
Boat Make
none, but looking
No one doubts the builders ability to apply core,(or apply glass to core) the problem comes down the road when an uninformed boat yard worker slaps a couple thru hulls in with out proper decoring and filling. Many will decore the hole, not many will go deep enough to decore the mounting bolts, screws etc. How many spray rails are screwed in, even bolted. Every time you hit a dock, get put in the slings etc, things wiggle, and water finds its way. I am with VPC on this one, for me, there will never be a balsa hull. Limited if any upside, huge potential downside. You can ask any one of the New Engleand boat builders for their opinion,
some of the best are here every day.

I think you summed it up pretty well. We are looking at a NB36 that has one area of possible water damage due to what looks like a leaking bolt on the spray rail. Too bad since we really liked the boat and we could fix it, but it would always be on my mind.
icon9.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
I know Travis made a comment about fixing plenty of wet balsa in his life, get an opinion from him. If its a good deal it may still be worth your consideration. I am by no means as well versed as him or any of the other experts here.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
what year w as the hull made?
repairing that section isnt an issue, even if you did the entire rail it wouldnt be a big deal. something you could do yourself over a few weekends.

cored boats aren't my thing, but this wouldn't make me run off screaming into the night

pugsley

Captain
i have a balsa cored 35 bruno, with no problems, there is a solid glass blank on either side for all the through hulls and transducers ect. just don't drill a bunch of holes and you'll be fine, and if you have to put something through take the time to reem some of the balsa out and fill it with fiberglass.

James4

Lieutenant
I want to put a bow thruster in if I buy the Sisu 30 I am looking at ... Can you give me any thoughts on cost ....and finding a shop to do it

James4

Lieutenant
My 1985 Sisu 26 is balsa cored down to within 18" of the keel. I've owned it 3 years and as a part of the maintenance plan I removed/replaced the thru hulls, engine intake, depth sounder transducer, transom step bolts and also cut into the hull to install a bow thruster. I've never found any core damage. The boat was very well built with a lot of care.

I am looking a a SISU 30 to buy ... No bow thruster....you note you put on in your 26... Can you give me a ball pro idea of cost?

greg

Captain
There's no need for that just wheel time

I've got a thruster on my 35. It came with the boat.

Can I dock without it? Sure. I had to do it several days a couple of seasons ago when I broke a coupling. Really windy days too. A lot of the time I never even touch it even when its working.

Do I use it? Hell yes. And I enjoy the guilt. ;)

mudhake

Captain
The only reason I would like one that was super quiet was for giant tuna fishing, Just Kidding.

Top Bottom