Bandit Reels And Deep Drop Reels

Prdlobster

Commander
Is it possible to use a hydraulic bandit reel or electric deep drop reel to land giant bluefin istead of a traditional rod/reel set up?

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
Yeah shore can they use bandit reels for greenstick fishing and some have landed 2 at a time on them chatch em up boss

Prdlobster

Commander
With the bandits could you load them with some big line and just rip them up? I've never fished for giants before...the boat isnt too maneuverable so I don't know if I'd have the finesse to stay on the fish with the rods.

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
If you go with rods just back off on the drag if the line Will hit the boat 250 lbs will take some shit if you play your cards right

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
You can always find a way but have to imagine you'd be dealing with pulled hooks. I'd think about just going with bigger line and tuna bomb. Therefore if he rubs the side of the hull your okay... Look at the longliners that bring them up live sometimes... they cant move the boat...

Prdlobster

Commander
Thanks for the info guys.

I'd love to take a ride with someone to show me how it's done!

Shawn...not familiar with tuna bomb?

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Tuna Bomb & Chaffing Tube

Sometimes when we want to protect the leader a little bit, when using lighter line, we use the above... it is held above the bait with a rubber band until it strikes, then falls down.

Sometimes it doesnt fall right, atleast the way I did it. Just figure if you had a prolonged fight, it might be what you need. Just an idea...

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
Tuna Bomb & Chaffing Tube

Sometimes when we want to protect the leader a little bit, when using lighter line, we use the above... it is held above the bait with a rubber band until it strikes, then falls down.

Sometimes it doesnt fall right, atleast the way I did it. Just figure if you had a prolonged fight, it might be what you need. Just an idea...
Shawn a lot cheaper to make tape a led to a pice of pex pipe

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
Make it all don't give Johny white money for that stuff all you need is the wire crimps and rubber bands

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I think the only thing I have bought from him was 4 130 bent butts, simply because in 2002 when I got out of school, he had 4 ready to go at the shop...

I'm wondering now if I can get "better" rods....

Although I do like his splicing needles for mono/dacron...

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
Good Guy just hate to give him money his prices are so hight to start so I try to make all my own shit if you have a problem with making it pm me I make all my own bars rigs gaff harpoons save a dollar on gear that's a dollar tord more

Frigate

Captain
Boat Make
38' Duffy/Flower
Shawn,

Tuna bombs need to be stealthy. Be it in the canyon or bluefin fishing. The picture is a bomb from Tightlines Tackle (250-300 yards as the sea gull flies from Kenny Flower's shop). That I have used that works.

IMG_0022.jpg

Top Bottom