Barrier Coat Preference

Crusty Coastie

Lieutenant Commander
I just had my 38 Holland hull bottom soda blasted.It looks great,clean and not 1 blister.I want to do a top notch job finishing out the project.What products based on experience would you gents prefer .I see some epoxy supplier in NH has a one coat system but have not found any feedback on it.Right now I'm leaning towards 3-4 coats of interprotect,3 coats of ablative,first coat being tracer.I'm concerned about getting to the proper mil thickness and keeping it smooth.

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
interprotec HS has been my favorite. It goes on very nice and also requires less coats than most. Shorter nap roller will get you a smooth finish.

Sanding & vacuum/ solvent wipe every year before your annual coat provides a smooth, chip free finish.

I'm not a believer in the tracer coat. I've tried it on multiple boats. Theoretically it sounds good, but in practice it's a waste of time. Just do two or three coats on the initial application then, one every year if you haul out for the winter.

Ray Poulton

Ensign
I just had my 38 Holland hull bottom soda blasted.It looks great,clean and not 1 blister.I want to do a top notch job finishing out the project.What products based on experience would you gents prefer .I see some epoxy supplier in NH has a one coat system but have not found any feedback on it.Right now I'm leaning towards 3-4 coats of interprotect,3 coats of ablative,first coat being tracer.I'm concerned about getting to the proper mil thickness and keeping it smooth.
a great way to make sure you apply interprotect correctly is to use the gray and white and alternate colors each coat that way you get an even mil thickness all over with no missed spots.

cb34

Rear Admiral
Just ordered the Sea Hawk barrier coat and bottom paint. Although I have used interlux on a few prior boats I have never been impressed. My last boat I used the Sea Hawk product and was very pleased. Two coats gave me more mil than three of the interlux .

CaptDave

Captain
Boat Make
31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
Two coats of Blue Death followed by two coats Red Lead

cobia23

Commander
First Name
Paul
Just got my order for the seahawk barrier coat and bottom paint as well. Hamilton had the best price as of last week.

osprey47

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Joe
Boat Make
BHM 36 w/ Yanmar 6LYA-STE
After soda blasting and doing gelcoat blister repair, used the Pettit epoxy barrier-coat product, alternating between black and white to produce 3mil thickness. Easy to use. Good results.

pjorlando1

Lieutenant
Lite User
First Name
Patrick
Boat Make
Columbia II Northsider

cb34

Rear Admiral
Just got my order for the seahawk barrier coat and bottom paint as well. Hamilton had the best price as of last week.
Bottompaintstore best price and free shipping

cobia23

Commander
First Name
Paul
Bottompaintstore best price and free shipping

Yes typically they do, Hamilton had seahawk paints on sale with .99 cent shipping, for Black Friday. I suffer from analysis paralysis so I know I got the best deal I could at the time.
You are correct though it is currently cheaper at bottom paint store.

BlueMack

Captain
Boat Make
Bruno & Stillman 35
I just did mine with the seahawk, I wasn’t impressed, lots of solid chunks in the mix, I checked can dates, used electric drill mixer, after the first one then screened out the next layers.

Crusty Coastie

Lieutenant Commander
I'd actually like to find a good used paint shaker for my club.It would get good use for sure.

pjorlando1

Lieutenant
Lite User
First Name
Patrick
Boat Make
Columbia II Northsider

south shore

Captain
First Name
Nick
Boat Make
25 Northern Bay
Hey Pat
may need to shake up some barrier coat in the spring time, getting bottom blasted this week
I will reach out to you
Nick

Cool Boat

Commander
Hey Pat
may need to shake up some barrier coat in the spring time, getting bottom blasted this week
I will reach out to you
Nick
I'd maybe check with the manufacturer on how long they want the gelcoat off IF there isn't a waterlogging issue now. If the hull was low moisture already I'd want to get it repainted, at least one coat, as soon as possible. A moisture meter would be a good investment. For comparison checking Harbor Freight used to have a cheap one for wood. At work I used to have one that was several hundred dollars and likely much more accurate.

south shore

Captain
First Name
Nick
Boat Make
25 Northern Bay
I'd maybe check with the manufacturer on how long they want the gelcoat off IF there isn't a waterlogging issue now. If the hull was low moisture already I'd want to get it repainted, at least one coat, as soon as possible. A moisture meter would be a good investment. For comparison checking Harbor Freight used to have a cheap one for wood. At work I used to have one that was several hundred dollars and likely much more accurate.
will keep it in advisement
The media blasting is to remove the old paint it doesn't remove the gel coat will check to see if if seems porous , will be making some small repairs and possibly extending keel about 3 feet so after that I will move to barrier coat

pjorlando1

Lieutenant
Lite User
First Name
Patrick
Boat Make
Columbia II Northsider
Top Bottom