Bass Harbor Lobster Boat Races 2013

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
Hello all, just thought I would share some pictures and some video from today's race. Started out a little poor on account of weather but there is always sunny moments in the race and there was plenty thereafter. Was a good day. Sorry for the quality of the video, took it with my camera and it was overcast and rainy.

Bass Harbor Lobster Boat Races 2013 - YouTube - Jeff Eaton's 38' Northern Bay C13 750 Mhp FPT engine racing CATMAN, Poseidon, and Wild West. Wild West catches his engine on fire at the end to just pull away from us. It has a big old V8 with stack out the stern (not a working class boat). Has way more power than it should and blew a head gasket and started to catch on fire at the end of the race. Also has some other tricks we hear, but since they are hear say I won't mention them.

Bass Harbor Lobster Boat Races 2013 - YouTube - Fastest Bass Harbor boat, the one that crosses in the very lead is a little gas engine boat. But the big black boat is a 42' H&H Wide and I am pretty sure it came across the finish line first for Diesel all though they did not give it to him.

Bass Harbor Lobster Boat Races 2013 - YouTube - Again, looks like Jamie wins again with FPT power C13 750 Mhp engine.

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
How fast you guys get that NB running?
Can't say, sorry ;). You know how it is, it is racing season and unless the owner wants to give up the speed, I can't. It was funny, normally they announce the winner, 2nd and 3rd of each heat and their speeds but at Bass Harbor they did not. I will say this, he is doing 26.2 knots at 1860 rpm and the engine is a 2400 rpm engine. Jeff Eaton however is a very honest guy and if you wanted to ask him or go for a ride, he would gladly take you or tell you about it. Let me know if you would like to get a hold of him. He finished this boat himself and finishes one a year for people.

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
Curious,

Do the racers take their engine box covers off "just in case an engine lets go" saving the time and effort to lay up a new cover ??
Funny, no, maybe you are being sacarstic? Anyhow, more air the better, diesel engines are large pumps and they love to move air, so we took the box off to get all the nice clean cool damp air into the engine compartment space that we could. Also, it is cool for the video to hear the two turbos spool and for you to see that even though they are seperated and not compounding that there is absolutely no delay in take off and transient performance!

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
Can't say, sorry ;). You know how it is, it is racing season and unless the owner wants to give up the speed, I can't. It was funny, normally they announce the winner, 2nd and 3rd of each heat and their speeds but at Bass Harbor they did not. I will say this, he is doing 26.2 knots at 1860 rpm and the engine is a 2400 rpm engine. Jeff Eaton however is a very honest guy and if you wanted to ask him or go for a ride, he would gladly take you or tell you about it. Let me know if you would like to get a hold of him. He finished this boat himself and finishes one a year for people.

I was guessing that's what the answer would be, but also figured it was worth a shot to ask. Someone posted a pic of Jeff's boat a few months back (actually at my request) and I really like how he shifts the house further back than a "normal" NB 38' might have it. Unfortunately I'm still a few years away from a new build, hopefully by the time I'm ready he'll still be willing to build boats....

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
I was guessing that's what the answer would be, but also figured it was worth a shot to ask. Someone posted a pic of Jeff's boat a few months back (actually at my request) and I really like how he shifts the house further back than a "normal" NB 38' might have it. Unfortunately I'm still a few years away from a new build, hopefully by the time I'm ready he'll still be willing to build boats....
No worries, Jeff will still be finishing boats when you are ready. He really likes to do it and does a good job. You let me know when you are ready and we will go for a ride with him for sure. You will love cruising 30.5 mph at 1870 rpm burning 24 g/h, you get places really quickly and the boat rides so true you can't even tell you are going that fast! You have to sit in the stern to feel the speed.

Top Bottom