Bass Harbor Lobster Boat Races

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
i went. good times. had i tuned things up a bit i could have nabbed first place there as the fastest boat but got squeezed out by Catman. Not sure what they have under the deck but i bet it's big (800+ range)
foolish pleasure was there, heard him go pop out on the course. i dont think he knew it was a no points race and just for fun.
the organizer asked me to be the start boat for the fastest bass harbor lobster boat. 15 boats were at the line, many of them first time racers. it was like herding cats. after 2 false starts i split them up into heats and stood on the roof with the flag in hand so they could see me and line up.

i didnt stick around for the blessing of the fleet, got my heathen butt outta there :p

on the way back we surprised a boat that thought it was hot snot since they were blasting through the reach at full throttle and two lobster boats just jogged past them without breaking a sweat. further up the bay some schmuck didnt comprehend the rules of the road and was dead set on running into me. had my family not been on board i would have run him down and educated them on the spot, but we need to set a good example to the kiddos so we just adjust our course and inform the young ones why and the right & wrongs about it.

i got some video of the races, trusty webcam got some nice stuff. had a go-pro camera on board from the film crew too but apparently i am too damn fast :p

good times all around. for being their second year hosting the races they did a bang up job

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
I think Catman is a 38' Calvin with a C15 CAT, the high HP one they built for a few years before discontinuing that motor in marinized form. Maybe 865 HP? I could've made that up. Could be some pics on SW's website, although I could be making that up too

Boat Make
2001 crowley-beal 33/ 450 hp. volvo
i went. good times. had i tuned things up a bit i could have nabbed first place there as the fastest boat but got squeezed out by Catman. Not sure what they have under the deck but i bet it's big (800+ range)
foolish pleasure was there, heard him go pop out on the course. i dont think he knew it was a no points race and just for fun.
the organizer asked me to be the start boat for the fastest bass harbor lobster boat. 15 boats were at the line, many of them first time racers. it was like herding cats. after 2 false starts i split them up into heats and stood on the roof with the flag in hand so they could see me and line up.

i didnt stick around for the blessing of the fleet, got my heathen butt outta there :p

on the way back we surprised a boat that thought it was hot snot since they were blasting through the reach at full throttle and two lobster boats just jogged past them without breaking a sweat. further up the bay some schmuck didnt comprehend the rules of the road and was dead set on running into me. had my family not been on board i would have run him down and educated them on the spot, but we need to set a good example to the kiddos so we just adjust our course and inform the young ones why and the right & wrongs about it.

i got some video of the races, trusty webcam got some nice stuff. had a go-pro camera on board from the film crew too but apparently i am too damn fast :p

good times all around. for being their second year hosting the races they did a bang up job
hey travis, thanks for the info and pics. hope to get you a ride aboard the express at some point this season.(searsport/stonington hopefully).

Top Bottom