Batteries

05bill

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
rp, willis beal
Will a Yanmar alternator, 2005 Yanmar 370hp charge properly a agm , 8d and a agm 31 series ? 31 starting, 8d house .

There is so much conflicting information or information I dont understand out there !!!.

Replacing a 8d wet cell with something. Need high AH battery .

Thanks for the anticipated help, need to purchase asap.

05 Bill

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Yes. But, if the AGM is drawn down significantly you could possibly see some overheating on the stock alternator. AGM charge current is wicked big compared to flooded lead acid. If you aren't doing heavy heavy draws on the battery, I wouldn't be concerned.

osprey47

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Joe
Boat Make
BHM 36 w/ Yanmar 6LYA-STE
So, here's the challenge. I expect the alternator is the standard 80amp alternator -- typically Hitachi -- with, and this is the challenge, an internal regulator. That regulator is designed for vehicles and not specifically for recharging batteries. It is not designed to support multi-stage charging. This is particularly true for AGMs.

I have my Yanmar alternator (Hitachi 80Amp) rebuilt (new stators, etc.) and had the internal regulator removed. I use a Balmar regulator designed specifically for marine applications and can be configured for AGM, Gel, or lead. I my case it is charging 8 series 31 AGM house batteries and 1 series 31 Starter battery. Is an 80amp alternator equal to the job. In my case no but it suffices.

Osprey47

TCL

Captain
Boat Make
Sabre 36 The Captain's Lady
So, here's the challenge. I expect the alternator is the standard 80amp alternator -- typically Hitachi -- with, and this is the challenge, an internal regulator. That regulator is designed for vehicles and not specifically for recharging batteries. It is not designed to support multi-stage charging. This is particularly true for AGMs.

I have my Yanmar alternator (Hitachi 80Amp) rebuilt (new stators, etc.) and had the internal regulator removed. I use a Balmar regulator designed specifically for marine applications and can be configured for AGM, Gel, or lead. I my case it is charging 8 series 31 AGM house batteries and 1 series 31 Starter battery. Is an 80amp alternator equal to the job. In my case no but it suffices.

Osprey47
Hi Joe,
You mentioned that your generator out put is lacking. One option that you have on many Yanmar‘s is to remove the electric air pre-heaters. This greatly reduces electric demand. I did this with my twin 6LY’s but only have 2 group 31’s hooked to each engine.

I see that you are in Annapolis, where did you get your alternator rebuilt?

Dave (also Annapolis, South River side)

05bill

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
rp, willis beal
Well looked up spec on alternator ,talked to Mid State that in Conn. Said no issue. 14.1 to 14.6 ,yanmar 14.4. and can charge l.both while underway after starting with the 31.

So tried to get AGM battery ,like hins teeth, most out of stock. Bought West Marine Brand,actually East Penn ,245 AH. Heavyas hell. Removed old 8 d ,replaced new ,70 ft dock. Not easy.

1000 bucks !!!!!!

Can't aford fuel now

05bill

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
rp, willis beal
Another question ? I have an inverter/charger installed on boat. Also have a portable Yamaha 2000is inverter generator. Now can I run generator power through inverter to ac with out going through batteries ? I know ,if I select a battery bank, generator power will go through inverter ,provide power to the ac and charge battery . I want to know if I can just provide ac direct and bypass battery ?

Really dont understand this stuff , hope someone does.

Thanks

Bill

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
I had a heart inverter/charger. It would use AC input when present to supply AC (wouldn't use inverter function) power. It would also charge the batteries when AC input was supplied.

I don't understand your question "provide ac direct and bypass battery?".

05bill

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
rp, willis beal
Thanks Genius, not sure how to word it. I want the AC power from the generator to directly power ac boat functions directly. Not sure generator power must go through a battery before it goes to boats ac functions. Want the generator to power boat ac functions without going through and charging batteries ?

If I shut all batteries on off and provide generator ac will it power boat ac directly .
I guess I could try it but don't want to wreck anything .
I hope that explains it ?

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
It sounds like your inverter/charger is similar to my Heart unit. AC power doesn't need any battery connection to work properly.

It would be logical (not always true) that the inverter charger would sense AC input and use this for output AC power. Not, utilizing the inverter function in the unit.

Does that make sense?

Pitou

Commander
First Name
Kevin
Boat Make
'06 Albin 31 TE
Adding to Genius's description and following up on the discussion of combo inverter / chargers and how they work.

I have a Xantrex Freedom XC Pro Marine 3000w Inverter/150 amp Charger dedicated to my house bank and it has a built in "automatic transfer switch" which detects AC power either from shore or generator and shuts the inverter off if either of these two AC sources are detected. If no AC power is detected the transfer switch automatically engages the inverter to then supply AC power to the panel generated from the batteries.

05bill

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
rp, willis beal
O k now I understand .Generator will supply ac power when running and not battery.
Inverter detects source ,got it .
Thank you

05bill

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
rp, willis beal
O k now I understand .Generator will supply ac power when running and not battery.
Thank you

Thank you
Another stupid question ,sorry. O K got source differential. Now with outside source ,shore power ,generator .
Does inverter / charger also charge batteries ? I only want batteries charged when I want them charged ,and I want ac from generator through inverter / charger without additionally charging batteries. Can you do that ?
source

05bill

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
rp, willis beal
Another stupid question ,sorry. O K got source differential. Now with outside source ,shore power ,generator .
Does inverter / charger also charge batteries ? I only want batteries charged when I want them charged ,and I want ac from generator through inverter / charger without additionally charging batteries. Can you do that ?
source

Pitou

Commander
First Name
Kevin
Boat Make
'06 Albin 31 TE
I'm wired so as the charger is only powered and charging when I turn on the AC charger switch/breaker. I have total control and that's how yours should be too. Which Inverter / Charger do you have?

05bill

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
rp, willis beal
I have a New/ Mar12-1799iC.

I had boat manufactured in Maine, 2005. Never really understood how they s thing works,16 seasons, probably about time I learned.I can show you a schematic

05bill

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
rp, willis beal
Does this mean anything to you.I may need a New/ Mar BI 100 battery integrator which is not installed. Says inverter / charger should only be used to charge derp cycle house batteries not starting batteries.

My concern is over charging batteries when using generator for house ac.
I am not sure if the device can produce house ac without also charging batteries at the same time ?

Does that make sense ?

IMG_20210609_161837432.jpg

IMG_20210609_161831736.jpg

Gurryman

Rear Admiral
First Name
Mark
Boat Make
Nauset 28
How in the world can someone own a boat for 15 years and not know it's systems?

05bill

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
rp, willis beal
I also have 2 switches. One for DC power connected or seperated to the 2 batteries and an inverter / charger switch connected or separating the 2 batteries.

Really confused.

I guess I could use the dc switch and select starting battery and alternator will charge that battery while underway? And when I anchor , shut the starting battery bank off ,
put on inverter on ac house battery, and select that same bank for DC devices.? But again when I use the generator to run microwave will it also be charging the dedicated house battery which I don't want to over charge.

Amazing how complicated this .

Thanks for your help if you can give me any .

05bill

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
rp, willis beal
How in the world can someone own a boat for 15 years and not know it's systems?
Mark, no one in this world is as smart as you are ,we are all aware of that, if you want to help thanks , if not ,keep to yourself.

Top Bottom