Batteries

Pitou

Commander
First Name
Kevin
Boat Make
'06 Albin 31 TE
I also have 2 switches. One for DC power connected or seperated to the 2 batteries and an inverter / charger switch connected or separating the 2 batteries.

Really confused.

I guess I could use the dc switch and select starting battery and alternator will charge that battery while underway? And when I anchor , shut the starting battery bank off ,
put on inverter on ac house battery, and select that same bank for DC devices.? But again when I use the generator to run microwave will it also be charging the dedicated house battery which I don't want to over charge.

Amazing how complicated this .

Thanks for your help if you can give me any .
Do you have a switch/breaker on your panel that says Charger? That's how I am wired. If the switch is not turned on the charger aspect is off weather I am on generator or Shore power.

When my engine is running the alternator charges the start battery and the house and generator battery through an Blue Sea ACR .. Blue Sea 7610 120 Amp Si-Series Automatic Charging Relay

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Do you have a switch/breaker on your panel that says Charger? That's how I am wired. If the switch is not turned on the charger aspect is off weather I am on generator or Shore power.

When my engine is running the alternator charges the start battery and the house and generator battery through an Blue Sea ACR .. Blue Sea 7610 120 Amp Si-Series Automatic Charging Relay
what does your "charger" breaker do? How does that control the "charger". What board is it on, the AC or DC board?

Pitou

Commander
First Name
Kevin
Boat Make
'06 Albin 31 TE
My charger breaker is on the AC panel and turns the charger portion ON or OFF.

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
My charger breaker is on the AC panel and turns the charger portion ON or OFF.
Are you sure it doesn't turn a charger on. May have nothing to do with your inverter/charger if you have one. Do you? Maybe it's just an inverter you have.

Pitou

Commander
First Name
Kevin
Boat Make
'06 Albin 31 TE
Are you sure it doesn't turn a charger on. May have nothing to do with your inverter/charger if you have one. Do you? Maybe it's just an inverter you have.
I have the Xantrex Freedom XC Pro Marine Inverter/Charger .. 3000 watt inverter/150 amp charger. I have it set up to just charge my house bank (6 - 6 volt golf cart batteries) and have a 2nd charger at 60 amps to charge my start bank of 2 - group 31 starting batteries and genset starting battery. Both chargers are separately switched on the AC panel.

Inverter Charger | Freedom XC PRO Marine Inverter/Charger | Xantrex

05bill

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
rp, willis beal
I dont have a separate switch. When generator power or shore power is applied a lite on inverter/charger says outside source,and this is where I am contused, the outside source now powers all the ac stuff through inverter/charger , I get that. However is the outside source also charging the battery , and if so, does the inverter/charger know when to stop charging the battery so it doesnt over charge it ? I am going to assume it does know, but I hate assumptions !!!!!

Thanks for all the help, believe it or not it helped !!!

05Bill

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
I have the Xantrex Freedom XC Pro Marine Inverter/Charger .. 3000 watt inverter/150 amp charger. I have it set up to just charge my house bank (6 - 6 volt golf cart batteries) and have a 2nd charger at 60 amps to charge my start bank of 2 - group 31 starting batteries and genset starting battery. Both chargers are separately switched on the AC panel.

Inverter Charger | Freedom XC PRO Marine Inverter/Charger | Xantrex
I read/skimmed the manual for the charger, didn't see how to control the charger or information on how the charger operates. You'll have to elaborate on how it's wired.

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
I dont have a separate switch. When generator power or shore power is applied a lite on inverter/charger says outside source,and this is where I am contused, the outside source now powers all the ac stuff through inverter/charger , I get that. However is the outside source also charging the battery , and if so, does the inverter/charger know when to stop charging the battery so it doesnt over charge it ? I am going to assume it does know, but I hate assumptions !!!!!

Thanks for all the help, believe it or not it helped !!!

05Bill
Usually the chargers are pretty smart. If you click on Kevin's link, you can read how his inverter/charger controls charge voltage. I don't think you have to worry about over charging your batteries.

05bill

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
rp, willis beal
Thank you Genius.

Now another question: I guess I don't know when to stop asking questions.

A deep cycle AGM ,AH 245 ,should NOT be charged by the engine alternator or is it ok to do so ? Yanmar/ Hitachi alternator .

Sorry for all the questions .

Thanks,

05 bill

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Thank you Genius.

Now another question: I guess I don't know when to stop asking questions.

A deep cycle AGM ,AH 245 ,should NOT be charged by the engine alternator or is it ok to do so ? Yanmar/ Hitachi alternator .

Sorry for all the questions .

Thanks,

05 bill
battery charging can really get very very technical, down to length of cable and how they are connected...But for most people and to generalize, you'll be ok. AGM's typically see charging voltages very very close to flooded lead acid batteries.

05bill

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
rp, willis beal
When you read the literature it scares the heck out of you.

Thank you again ,don't want to ruin a 1000 dollar battery .

We will see if the AGM high ah is worth the money.

Thanks again

Pitou

Commander
First Name
Kevin
Boat Make
'06 Albin 31 TE
I read/skimmed the manual for the charger, didn't see how to control the charger or information on how the charger operates. You'll have to elaborate on how it's wired.
The combo charger / inverter is controlled by a remote display panel that has keys on its face or controlled by Bluetooth that I haven't figured out yet.

The Inverter aspect can be set to "always on" which if no AC power is detected from Shore or generator then the automatic transfer switch provides inverted AC power to the boats AC panel or it can be set to "manual" which it only then supplies inverted AC panel when you want it .. that's the state that I use.

It's basically the two separate units (charger & inverter) built into one housing case and wired for inverted AC power out to the boat's AC panel through an automatic transfer switch and AC power in from the boat's AC panel supplying AC power to the charger aspect of the unit when on shore or generator power. Could you run the charger with inverted AC power? I would say yes, but never have or would as it would be self defeating using DC converted to AC to then recharge the DC bank .. kind of like chasing your tail.

I hope that makes some sense. Xantrex just came out with his unit this s;pring, so it's a fresh install and I'm still learning all of the ins and outs.

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
The combo charger / inverter is controlled by a remote display panel that has keys on its face or controlled by Bluetooth that I haven't figured out yet.

The Inverter aspect can be set to "always on" which if no AC power is detected from Shore or generator then the automatic transfer switch provides inverted AC power to the boats AC panel or it can be set to "manual" which it only then supplies inverted AC panel when you want it .. that's the state that I use.

It's basically the two separate units (charger & inverter) built into one housing case and wired for inverted AC power out to the boat's AC panel through an automatic transfer switch and AC power in from the boat's AC panel supplying AC power to the charger aspect of the unit when on shore or generator power. Could you run the charger with inverted AC power? I would say yes, but never have or would as it would be self defeating using DC converted to AC to then recharge the DC bank .. kind of like chasing your tail.

I hope that makes some sense. Xantrex just came out with his unit this s;pring, so it's a fresh install and I'm still learning all of the ins and outs.
Thanks. The only question I have, is how the charger is controlled. If I would guess, the remote display panel. But, from your comments, it doesn't appear so. You mentioned a breaker/switch on a panel that controls it. I just don't know how that would be wired.

Pitou

Commander
First Name
Kevin
Boat Make
'06 Albin 31 TE
Thanks. The only question I have, is how the charger is controlled. If I would guess, the remote display panel. But, from your comments, it doesn't appear so. You mentioned a breaker/switch on a panel that controls it. I just don't know how that would be wired.
Wired right from the switched marked House Battery Charger on my AC panel directly to the AC in on the unit. When charging, the display unit displays battery voltage, amperage output and weather the charger is in bulk, absorption or float stage. The display can also be configured manually for equalization mode for flooded batteries.
The charger can be configured for Flooded, Gel, AGM or Lithium.

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Wired right from the switched marked House Battery Charger on my AC panel directly to the AC in on the unit. When charging, the display unit displays battery voltage, amperage output and weather the charger is in bulk, absorption or float stage. The display can also be configured manually for equalization mode for flooded batteries.
The charger can be configured for Flooded, Gel, AGM or Lithium.
what battery charger??? I understand you have two, an inverter/charger and a stand alone charger. I feel like we are going round and round.

EDIT: never mind, I think I understand now. There is an 120VAC load panel from the inverter/charger and a 120VAC supply panel. I've never come across this.

Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 12.08.33 PM.png

Last edited:

Pitou

Commander
First Name
Kevin
Boat Make
'06 Albin 31 TE
Sorry .. I should have posted that diagram earlier .. would have done a better job than me.

Top Bottom