battery chargers

VPC

Lieutenant Commander
replacing an old charger that hooked up via shore power going in a diesel can someone reccomend the best and ahy so thanks

Wharf Rat

Marine Electronics 'Professional'
Forum Sponsor
Website
www.precisionmarinecenter.com
Boat Make
OPB
Victron Energy, ALL THE WAY. We've used them all, Xantrex, Guest, Charles, Magnum, ProMariner, etc. Nothing does the job as well or lasts as long as Victron. Xantrex used to be THE guys, but their support went down the drain. Charles makes a good product, but overpriced for what you get. Guest is absolute junk, and Magnum and ProMariner are the budget options for customers who don't even know they have batteries on their boat. Talk about an endorsement, we just put a Victron MultiPlus Charger/Inverter in Greg's boat last year. 80A Charger, 2000W inverter. I wish he would have gone with the full remote and monitor, but he just went with the basic on/off switch for the inverter. Very cool system, we actually hooked it up to a laptop and configured each bank and set different parameters for its other features like its PowerAssist, which will actually boost the incoming juice from a shore power inlet if it's less than 220, which happens at a lot different docks.

Wharf Rat

Marine Electronics 'Professional'
Forum Sponsor
Website
www.precisionmarinecenter.com
Boat Make
OPB
True are all priced about the same. While I like the Charles equipment and it is a good product, it's just not at the same level as what Victron offers. So Victron, for the best bang for the buck, has been a no brainer for us.

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
True are all priced about the same. While I like the Charles equipment and it is a good product, it's just not at the same level as what Victron offers. So Victron, for the best bang for the buck, has been a no brainer for us.

how are you comparing it, the charles high freq charger is a 4 stage charger, their stadard is 3 stage. Charles is made in USA, What victron are we comparing to ? Also interesting that its a netherlands based company with made in china and korea chargers ? Where its made is a big deal to me, as i would spend some extra money to keep manufacturing here in the US. Also Google victron charger failure, should give you plenty to read about.

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
another HUGE plus with Charles, being my degree and career revolve around EE and technology for the last 17 years, not once and not twice when i have called support they have absolutely no problem sending me over to their engineering team to go over questions when basic support can;t answer it. Hell i don;t even get that treatment with multi billion dollar companies like HP/Cisco/Microsoft.

Top Bottom