Battery Charging

JimRP31

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Willis Beal/RP 31
So I was finally able to get some time this weekend and hook up the float charger. I took all the wires off the batteries so I would not fry any of the engine electronics or my AM/FM radio(built in cannot be removed). I then wired the batteries in series and connected the float charger. My question is there a way to do connect the float charger without removing all the wires? If I bought a solar charger for next summer, how would I connect it without removing all the wires.

djmarchand

Captain
Boat Make
Atlas Pompano 23 outboard
I will be happy to give you advice but your question is incomplete and almost incomprehensible.

What is the voltage of your boat system. What is the voltage of each battery. Why did you have to hook them in series?

David

Kodiakan

Commander
Yea, I'm missing something also, Who ever had to remove all the wiring to install a charger? Not following something.

JimRP31

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Willis Beal/RP 31
That is my question. Do I need to disconnect the battery to connect a float charger for storage. I have a standard 12V Dual Battery/Single Engine set up, with 1/both/2 switch. The Batteries are connect in parallel. I have a single outboard engine.

Kodiakan

Commander
That is my question. Do I need to disconnect the battery to connect a float charger for storage. I have a standard 12V Dual Battery/Single Engine set up, with 1/both/2 switch. The Batteries are connect in parallel. I have a single outboard engine.

Theres a hundred wiring variables so no one can say without looking at it. Your best bet in a cold weather area (unless you store it in a heated garage) is to pull the batteries out of the boat and store them in a heated area with a charger on them. Place them on wood, not a concrete floor....Best of luck

Sailorgp

Commander
Boat Make
Sisu 26
avoiding the storage of lead/acid batteries on a concrete floor is an old wives tale possibly dating back to the days when battery cases were made out of wood.
A properly functioning trickle charger will not fry any of your electronics. Don't worry about disconnecting anything. Even the need for a trickle charger is questionable if your batteries are in good condition and fully charged at the end of the season

djmarchand

Captain
Boat Make
Atlas Pompano 23 outboard
I think you are confusing parallel and series connections. I won't try to explain it. Google it and you will find diagrams and explanations.

But very simply, you don't have to remove any wires or change anything. Connect the float charger to the positive and negative terminals of one of your batteries, plug it in and leave it that way. Set the 1,2,all switch to all.

You can do the same thing with a solar panel, but that brings up a lot of questions about battery size, solar panel size and whether you need a controller or not. I am not going there.

David

Kodiakan

Commander
Perhaps I look at storing a boat a little differantly as mine is typically stored for four or five months.... You can pull it in the driveway and forget it and deal with it come spring, or not. You can stick a charger on it and call it good. Depending on how its wired your bilge pump(s) are most likely wired direct so you aren't cutting the power to them. Some manufacturers also wire their outboards direct to the batteries. And if stuff has been added by prior owners, who knows whether its wired direct with an inline fuse or through your power switch...For me, pulling the batteries is best as I will have no choice but to look at all the connections next Spring and even just the disconnection/reconnection of them cleans them some. I was taught that way by an old commercial fisherman who was set in his ways and now i'm the old guy set in ways so i doubt I'll change (humor intended):D

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I leave my batteries in the boat all winter, i do disconnect them and have a smart charger i leave on all winter, just go in about once a month and switch the charger from one to the other. Those 8D's are just to heavy to be moving around.

Kodiakan

Commander
I leave my batteries in the boat all winter, i do disconnect them and have a smart charger i leave on all winter, just go in about once a month and switch the charger from one to the other. Those 8D's are just to heavy to be moving around.

Good point on the 8 D's. No way would I remove them. I assumed (hopefully correctly) with one outboard that the guy was talking about a skiff with standard batteries in it......

Top Bottom