Battery watering system

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
nope. never really had an issue with low water levels. I do check, but they rarely need topping up.

What causes level drop? overcharging/temperature/evaporation?

Codcruncher

Commander
nope. never really had an issue with low water levels. I do check, but they rarely
nope. never really had an issue with low water levels. I do check, but they rarely need topping up.

Charging the batteries causes water loss....when charging, the electrical current causes the water to return to it's original components...hydrogen and oxygen...this gassing will create water loss..

DBM

Commander
Lite User

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
what charger do you have? why do you use a 120vac charger, I don't.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Maybe you need to check your charger. A few years ago I found my Guest 3 stage, 2 bank, charger was "stuck" on almost 16 volts. I'm on a mooring so I only used it when the boat was on the hard and even then only an hour or two when I was aboard. So I caught it b/4 harm was done. That's a bad failure mode for a charger.
I replaced the charger with a new Guest (now made in China) but I don't really use it any more. After topping off the batteries when winterizing the boat, I find they stay up all winter w/o any help from me. As to water, once a year is all mine need.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
I have a 2" digital volt meter on my panel. Cost $13. on ebay w/ built-in LED light. And a 2 way momentary toggle switch. First and last things I do aboard check the battery voltages.

DBM

Commander
Lite User

ARC

Captain
Boat Make
31’ eastern Casco Bay
I cant reach the back cells so I put in a single point watering system
CAC74379-DBB1-4276-874B-8C36E0E1C197.jpeg

Latest Posts

Top Bottom