Belmont Boat Works

GoingDowneast

Lieutenant
First Name
Dave
I am looking at repowering a boat we are looking at potentially purchasing and the broker recommended Belmont Boat works as a very reputable shop. The repower would involve a new Yanmar, transmission, shaft, prop etc. Does anyone have experience working with them?

Tunacious

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Blackman
Can you share the boat you are considering? I do not know Belmont Boat Works, but ask for contact info from previous customers that used them for a re-power. Many factors involved in a re-power, such as adequate engine room, desired speed, desired fuel economy, exhaust design considerations.
Good luck on the new sled.

GoingDowneast

Lieutenant
First Name
Dave
It is the 26ft Webbers Cove that has been talked about on this sight that currently has the Beast for power. I am trying to put together an offer with doing the repower right out of the gate. Lyman Morse speced a rebuild for a 250 Yanmar with proper shaft, exhaust, prop etc. It would be for pleasure and trying to get around Low 20's knotsfor max cruise.. Their price was way too costly to make any sort of math work. That is when Belmont Boats Works was recommended

snowstorm

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
28 ellis
i know them. they have been there for 8 yrs or so. while building the big new building they have. it fell down. cheap they will not be. will it be done right maybe. and then there is the letter you will get from them 7 pages of wining and crying about how the business dosent make any money. i got the letter along with everyone i know that delt with them. i only had them haul my boat that went fine. dan has the boatyard his wife the big horse farm 2 miles east. they come from old really big money.

bigjay

Lieutenant
I'm repowering my cape dory 28 with a new yanmar lv 250, almost done.
Worked with people from 6 yards, all but one quoted the yanmar.
Quotes ranged from a 1 page dinner check sheet to 12 pages of parts and labor in much detail.
IMO you need to do homework yourself, like what do you have room for in the compartment and spec what engines fit.
Transmission down angle and how will the engine be mounted are important too.
I had yards known for repowering lots of boats come in and look at my compartment, make no measurements and then give me a quote.
Another yard that had repowered another Cape Dory recently gave me a quote but left out expensive parts that they needed to finish the original project, a major lowball quote
I saw the work they did and was not impressed.

I went with the yard who's owner inspected and measured our engine space three times and explained in detail their approach and how it had worked in other similar downeasters they repowered.

you may want to find a nice rebuilt 4 cyl for tht hull, I agree the numbers look tough

good luck

Tunacious

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Blackman
My brother and I re-powered a 26 Blackman Express. A west coats boat with 15 degree modified vee bottom. We removed a Volvo 41A, rated at 200 hp, that had a MS-4 1.5:1 gear, a 1 1/4" shaft and 17 X 17 wheel. It ran about 16 kts at cruise and WOT was 19-20 Kts.
We installed a Yanmar 4LHA-STP rated at 240 hp, ZF 630 A gear, 1.54:1 gear ratio, used the same 1 1/4" shaft and 18X18 wheel. Cruise was 19 kts and WOT was 23 Kts.
We had a few design decisions. 1- Keep existing shaft and use 1.5:1 gear or change shaft to 1 3/8" and use 2.0:1 gear ratio. We could then go with 18 or 19 diameter wheel and pitch unknown. Could have gotten 20+ cruise speed and better fuel economy. We chose to keep existing shaft and slower cruise speed.
We did all the work our self at my work, which had a full machine shop. We had to re-fabricate motor mounts going from a 6 cylinder Volvo to 4 cylinder Yanmar, increase exhaust to 4" from 3.5", add a short Verna lift muffler, run new engine display panel and wire loom, Battery connections, etc. It took us 2 weeks, working each night from 5 pm to midnight and weekends. we put her in the water, ran to the slip and called in the local Yanmar dealer to do the initial startup and certification. They spent more time on alignment and we were good to go.
We got off cheap. I sold the Volvo for 7 K, the MS-4 gear for 1,500. The Yanmar cost 16,500 and parts for the re-power was 4K. This was back in 2002. Cost was 12K net. I ran the boat for 1,800 hours over 9 years.
Parts cost are fixed for the most part, Labor is variable at $125 per hour or more.
It does not take a lot to do the job. You need a gantry to start, a covered work space, some machine tools. The most difficult is making engine mounts and getting the alignment close so you can fine tune with whatever is supplied with the engine package. Not sure if you are increasing HP or not, but replacing the shaft, strut, strut bushing, packing gland adds to the cost. Increasing exhaust size, battery connections, adding a new fuel separator and fuel line, running engine panel wire and installing the gauge panel is easy. Try asking if you can help cut project cost by helping on the mundane work. Pulling out an old engine and cleaning the bilge is easy work.

GoingDowneast

Lieutenant
First Name
Dave
Thanks for all of the advice. We are passing on the boat - too many unknowns get a firm grip on everything and make an educated offer

Top Bottom