Bench Seat - L seat

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
We'll I am thinking of a project and may change my idea of selling the boat.

I do have a small engine box now and a bench seat ontop of it, the engine box is only about 6". Thinking about getting rid of that and putting in a bench seat with drawers and everything just aft of the engine but still under the overhang.

I saw this at the boat show and liked it but its to wide in a sense.

I think I may try making it out of cardboard boxes next week to see if I would like it. I will post pictures of my idea to see if anyone else out there has anything already like this. I know this is really nothing much to do but figure someone might chime in with idea's.

I think the only thing my boat is missing right now is a place for just my wife and I to comfortably hang out...

248 Explorer_banner.jpg

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
That was just the idea. Trying to find a good posting pic of mine now...

Stinkpot

Commander
Boat Make
36' Calvin Beal
I have the same issue with confort. The L-shaped seat in my boat is pretty comfortable - for about an hour - and then the ass starts to hurt. If I were to do it again, here's what I'd change:

Make the seat box higher. When I sit in it, I can just barely see out the side windows, if I lift my head high. It's too low. (the seat, not my head).

Thicker (or maybe just more dense) cushions. Mine are only 4" and after a while, you feel the hard base underneath.

Really, what I should have done is simply built a rectangular base, about 16" high, with drawers, and put a normal, everyday couch on top of it and bolted it down; probably would be cheaper than having cushions made and would be more comfortable. Maybe someday if I ever want to reconfigure things. I do, however, have a TON of storage underneath my seat. My cabin bus heater is mounted in there, my charger/inverter, battery switches, 16 or so life jackets, a wet suit, water shoes, tools, my Yanmar spare parts box and some other miscellaneous junk and there's still room. Anyway, my configuration is a bit different, but maybe you can gain something from it.

A cardboard mock-up is a great idea. Good luck.

KK-I.jpg

Shakedown 145 Pine Island.jpg

KK-I.jpg

Shakedown 145 Pine Island.jpg

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
So this is what I have right now.

Looking to get rid of the current bench seat and build something back in align with the overhead overhang. Something in line with what Madshark did with his Flowers 33.

Perhaps I will just unscrew this bench seat and put it back there for this year. Right now the engine box flips backwards but not hard to get to flip to either side or just be ontop of it. Without the seat it would be really light anyways.

Ideally I will have a nice L shaped seat there up to the cabin hatch, just for two people to sit a little more comfortable.

The helm seat there I do not normally use anyways, but put it there for the picture. Since this bench seat would be moving back, I may put in a real helm seat.

photo (6).jpg

photo (4).jpg

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
Problem is where you companion door is, you probably could put a small j lounge in there, its going to be a pia to move for engine access.

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
if the companion door was in the middle you could do this

27CHES-DINETTE_000.jpg

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Yup, that is another idea... That door really screws me up here but I will live with it. Just got back from being out of town...

Top Bottom