Bent rudder shaft

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Crap even being towed must have not been fun right? Wouldn't it still kick ya over? Please tell the story when you have time. We can all benefit from the story and how you got home.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
It appears to me that the lower shoe failed. The failure was do mostly to a repair, as the ss plate capping the lower shoe is not original JC work. The attached photos show standard JC lower shoe gear. If the fiberglass keel shoe is still in tacked I would replace the lower SS unit with the standard buck Alquin unit whish is still available. The rudder can the be re stocked & re peddled. I would also carefully inspect the stuffing box which must be removed for cracks just below the packing nuts. Even though you can remove the rudder the stuffing box must be removed to swing in the repaired rudder. I had my rudder reshafted by S&S. Reasonable pricing.

March photo 06 032.jpg

March photo 06 033.jpg

March photo 06 053.jpg

LACI GALE 31jc

Lieutenant Commander
Who ever welded lower shoe did a shity job it done with a stick weld.
We had 6-8'' following sea on the way out and 3-5 on the way home @ 14 knots. I removed the tiller arm and packing nut and the rudder fell out
and took it over to larry johnson shop in freeport be restocked. gonna remove the stuffing box in the morning and make up a new lower shoe like CAPTLARRYS. We also lost a 250 300# eyeball :(

j dandy

Lieutenant
It appears to me that the lower shoe failed. The failure was do mostly to a repair, as the ss plate capping the lower shoe is not original JC work. The attached photos show standard JC lower shoe gear. If the fiberglass keel shoe is still in tacked I would replace the lower SS unit with the standard buck Alquin unit whish is still available. The rudder can the be re stocked & re peddled. I would also carefully inspect the stuffing box which must be removed for cracks just below the packing nuts. Even though you can remove the rudder the stuffing box must be removed to swing in the repaired rudder. I had my rudder reshafted by S&S. Reasonable pricing.
captainlarry, can't tell in the pics if your rudder is welded or brased to the shaft on top of rudder, but looks like two pins in rudder two shaft.
had mine the same way two pins but the pins snaped and rudder hit prop was not a good thing.may have been do to electrolyze on the pins.
took and counter sunk two holes bouth sides of rudder and brased to the shaft and also brased rudder to shaft at top of rudder. maybe yours is, like i say can't tell in pic. just a thought.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
The rudder was machined for new ss shafting a pressed in for a very tight fit. Next it was also pinned. A very solid job. It sounds to me that on your job the rudder stock post was no a tight pressed in fit. That left only the pins to prevent a rudder spin, which is not good.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Who ever welded lower shoe did a shity job it done with a stick weld.
We had 6-8'' following sea on the way out and 3-5 on the way home @ 14 knots. I removed the tiller arm and packing nut and the rudder fell out
and took it over to larry johnson shop in freeport be restocked. gonna remove the stuffing box in the morning and make up a new lower shoe like CAPTLARRYS. We also lost a 250 300# eyeball :(

When you get the new lower shoe from Larry have him press in the cutlass bearing it gives a very solid fit

blackdiamond296

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Alan Johnson 28 w/ 260 Yanmar

Wow that's an old photo Larry- I think that's me in the shot holding the Guppy for demonstration purposes... but that's for the electrolysis discussion ;)

CaptDave

Captain
Boat Make
31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
Isnpection

Sorry about your casualty but by posting here lots of guys will be thinking of a better inspection of the rudder, shoe and bearing before going back in next season. I wish you the best of luck and once repaired properly you will not have to worry about it for many years.

Dave

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Once complete it is also important that each component be tied into the bonding system. With the packing around the rudder post the stuffing box will need a grounding jumper.

storm 091.jpg

LACI GALE 31jc

Lieutenant Commander
After two weeks out of the water finally back in . Put in new rudder port ,rudder was restocked and i made up a new shoe. Had to dry fit the rudder,rudder port and shoe a few times to get it to line up just right the first time the bottom shaft of the rudder was out about 1"to the starboard stern from center of skeg i had to grind some glass under rudder port to get it where i wanted it to be. stuff.jpg

photo (108).jpg

jc stuffing box.jpg

stuff.jpg

photo (108).jpg

jc stuffing box.jpg

Top Bottom