Best 8D batteries

Pequod

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Shamrock 246 Open
Deep Cycle: Rolls, Lifeline, Trojan (6 volt)
Starting: Deka, Interstate

Russ

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Cape Dory 28
Napa 8d's are made by East Penn as well. Highly recommend. I've toured the factory and it's a first class American company. - Russ

BlueMack

Captain
Boat Make
Bruno & Stillman 35
Napa has 8d deep cycle, as others mentioned made by east penn, Deka battery for starting, I got my deka from one of the local auto parts stores, but they got bought out by O’Reillys, and don’t carry them.

ARC

Captain
Boat Make
31’ eastern Casco Bay
8d are just old technology. Make good ballast for leveling a water line. When I need new ones I’ll replace them with AGM

osprey47

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Joe
Boat Make
BHM 36 w/ Yanmar 6LYA-STE
If you go from acid batteries to AGM make sure your charger is compatible.
That applies to the dock power charger and the charger control for alternator supplied power. Many alternators have internal controls that are based on automotive applications and are NOT AGM friendly. You need 3-stage charging control (read Balmar) external to the alternator.
Osprey47

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Isn’t AGM charging voltage about the same as flooded lead acid batteries? Pretty sure it is. Current demands...now that is different. :p

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Isn’t AGM charging voltage about the same as flooded lead acid batteries? Pretty sure it is. Current demands...now that is different. :p
Yes, you are correct. The charge profiles are very similar.

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
AGM Odyssey. The size of a group 24 power of 8D. They last 8 years in the ferries here starting and stopping 750 Deere’s 30 times a day.
Mike- I'll soon be getting a starting battery for my 750hp Deere. You're saying the AGM Odyssey is a good battery to go with? Sure would like to save space and weight not having to use an 8D.

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Mike- I'll soon be getting a starting battery for my 750hp Deere. You're saying the AGM Odyssey is a good battery to go with? Sure would like to save space and weight not having to use an 8D.
I am using them in my boat. 2 fir engine 2 fir the house for the past 4 seasons. No issues and they crank the motor much faster than the 8d’s did. Also like I said earlier the ferry co where I haul out is using them on multiple ferries with that power.

Top Bottom