Best 8D batteries

c1steve

Captain
Isn’t AGM charging voltage about the same as flooded lead acid batteries? Pretty sure it is. Current demands...now that is different. :p
Lifeline AGM batteries must have a reduced upper voltage. They can handle 10x the amperage, but not high voltages. Some AGM batteries may not be this way, though. Lifeline batteries use cadmium, not antimony, for the lead alloy. This makes them physically very strong, and allows the high amps.

Many persons get 8+ years from Lifeline batteries. Usually if they are deep cycled to 50%, the batteries last 700 cycles. If they are deep cycled to 30% they last over 1000 discharges from what I remember.

Eddiek1226

Ensign
Napa has 8d deep cycle, as others mentioned made by east penn, Deka battery for starting, I got my deka from one of the local auto parts stores, but they got bought out by O’Reillys, and don’t carry them.
Napa has 8d deep cycle, as others mentioned made by east penn, Deka battery for starting, I got my deka from one of the local auto parts stores, but they got bought out by O’Reillys, and don’t carry them.
Are the Napa commercial 8D AGM batteries considered deep cycle batteries?

looking to use them to replace these

3551F94E-0565-40A4-B4B2-E6F73C7B72C0.jpeg

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Lifeline AGM batteries must have a reduced upper voltage. They can handle 10x the amperage, but not high voltages. Some AGM batteries may not be this way, though. Lifeline batteries use cadmium, not antimony, for the lead alloy. This makes them physically very strong, and allows the high amps.

Many persons get 8+ years from Lifeline batteries. Usually if they are deep cycled to 50%, the batteries last 700 cycles. If they are deep cycled to 30% they last over 1000 discharges from what I remember.
looks the same to me? Did I miss something.

Attachments

• techmanual.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 6

Pequod

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Shamrock 246 Open
Beckmans in New Bedford stopped carrying Lifeline batteries since Lifeline would not warranty their batteries.

BlueMack

Captain
Boat Make
Bruno & Stillman 35
Are the Napa commercial 8D AGM batteries considered deep cycle batteries?

looking to use them to replace these

View attachment 103885

I looked on the website and it didn’t show it. I would call a local store and ask specifically if they still carry it. Other wise you can combine 2 group 31’s they are easer to transport. I would buy from somewhere that sells a lot of batteries so You get a fresh one.

osprey47

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Joe
Boat Make
BHM 36 w/ Yanmar 6LYA-STE
Beckmans in New Bedford stopped carrying Lifeline batteries since Lifeline would not warranty their batteries.
Interesting you should say that. Last year my house Lifeline (8 Series 31) went flat during winter storage. Contacted Lifeline asking for guidance on restoring (or hopefully not, replacing). I did not use the 'warranty' word. After two attempts, never heard back. I was able to connect to 30amp ground power and after repeated attempts to charge through Trace 2K Watt multi-stage inverter/charger was able to restore batteries to full charge. No thanks to Lifeline. The irony is that Lifeline is the only AGM battery I am aware of that supports equalization.

Boat Make
26 JC
Imo, 8D lead acid batteries are the strongest cranking battery you can get for their cost. There are all kinds of later technology like AGM that may perform a little better but not enough to recover their high cost. 8D's are not deep cycle, they are not meant to be totally depleted, they are meant to be kept charged and then used to crank. I always got a laugh out of customers who had 5 year old batteries that were left at 0 volts all winter and then thought leaving them on charge for a week would fix them. Other side, deep cycles are OK with being depleted and then recharged and will come back to almost original capacity, but even in good condition will not not supply the cranking power a good 8D starting battery will and don't meet most engine manufacturers installation requirements. I couldn't fit 8D's in my boat's small battery area so I went with what I thought was the next best option, 3 GRP 31's. No shore charger to overcharge them and evaporate the water, and twice now at 7 seasons old I pull all 3 and replace them. Both sets at the end of their last winter layup I checked for voltage, all had over 12 volts.
Due to EPA costs there are only a few lead acid battery manufacturers left. For lead acid there really is only Johnson Controls, Exide and East Penn/Deka. So no matter what label that's who made it. Years ago, driving for a chemical supplier, East Penn was a regular customer and nice to work with. Place spotless clean and everyone seemed happy to be working there

Last edited:

nickybandy

Lieutenant
On my 4 battery charger in 6 yrs with agm batterys diff brands and all said will charger agms

Latest Posts

Top Bottom