Best battery for engine start

Mark Giegel

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Looking for DE 34 to 36
Recetly purchased a DE with a Yanmar 6LY2 STE 350 Hp Yanmar. Currently has a dedicated 8D battery for engine start. Is this the best choice for a engine start only battery? Also has 2 *d's for house bank.
Thanks

:?
Mark in Mountainville NY

djmarchand

Captain
Boat Make
Atlas Pompano 23 outboard
I absolutely hate 8Ds for boats. They are fine for big 9 liter diesels on 18 wheelers, particularly when you can install them with a forklift. But at 160 Lbs that is too much for my back.

I replaced an old 8D with a 950 CCA Group 31 battery to start my Yanmar 6LY like yours. Works fine and weighs about half. Cost about $90 at Costco.

David

Mark Giegel

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Looking for DE 34 to 36
Dave

Thanks much for the reply. I thought the 8D might be overkill just to start the engine. What are you using for the house bank?

Best
Mark

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Recetly purchased a DE with a Yanmar 6LY2 STE 350 Hp Yanmar. Currently has a dedicated 8D battery for engine start. Is this the best choice for a engine start only battery? Also has 2 *d's for house bank.
Thanks

:?
Mark in Mountainville NY
I had the motor it started well with a single 4-D. I have tried both deep cycle & start with the same results. I like the Interstate marine deepcycle battery good customer service and priced well.

djmarchand

Captain
Boat Make
Atlas Pompano 23 outboard
Mark:

The boat, a Mainship Pilot 34, had two 8D gel cells when I bought it late last year. One of the gels was shot so I replaced it with the Group 31 which I use for the starting battery.

The other 8D is still good and I will use it as the house battery until it goes TU. Then I will replace it with two golf cart batteries.

David

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
has nothing to do with displacement, but the amperage the starter pulls. on my CATs bare minimum is 4d, i run 8d's or i can run 3 X grp 31 in parallel .

v8flooz

Ensign
Boat Make
36' Frank Osgood
I am a huge fan of Odyssey batteries. I have a super small 680 in a 750 HP big block Boss Hoss motorcycle and it cranks it over like a champ every time. I recommended one to a friend with a high compression, big motor in a chopper that was buying batteries every year and still getting stranded by fall because his "new" battery wouldn't crank the motor. He is on his 4th year with the Odyssey and it still cranks his motor over faster than his old battery did when new. I have two in my JD diesel powered lobster boat that are a lot smaller and lighter than my old GIANT batteries and it spins it over quickly every time. They are more expensive, but, worth it. I have them in all my toys and they are all big HP and hard on the average battery.

Top Bottom