Best boat show for Downeast boats?

gmac

Captain
What is or is there a good show that has downeast boats? Was looking at the New England show and don't see any listed in exhibitors.

Thanks.

greg

Captain
The maine boatbuilders show will have a couple, but a lot of builders will at least have a booth there. Lots of trade booths as well.

But not so many finished boats.

FVSD

Lieutenant Commander
The boatbuilders show has less finished boats since the economy went in the tank. If you have never been it would still be well worth a visit.

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
What is or is there a good show that has downeast boats? Was looking at the New England show and don't see any listed in exhibitors.

Thanks.

At the NE show last year the most amount of space was allotted to pontoon boats, from what I could tell. It was hilarous and pathetic at the same.

There was one true DE that I saw, a Fortier 26' launch. Rod Fortier was there however, that was pretty cool. Just wish they'd brought an actual boat instead of a people carrier.

gmac

Captain
Thanks for the info. will try to make it to the Main Boatbuilders show.

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36 Hatteras/13 Whaler/24 Sailfish
At the NE show last year the most amount of space was allotted to pontoon boats, from what I could tell. It was hilarous and pathetic at the same.

There was one true DE that I saw, a Fortier 26' launch. Rod Fortier was there however, that was pretty cool. Just wish they'd brought an actual boat instead of a people carrier.

Yah Frank, I was with you on that. It was laughable the amount of pontoon boats and jetskis there were at the show.

I miss the old show at the Bayside Expo. That was a good show. There was boats there for regular people and regular pocketbooks. Now what we're seeing is the show evolve to the super-"rich" boats (read: the 300k Grady and Whaler C/C's) and blowboats to the super low end (read: pontoon boats).

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
The best was a $$$ luxury pontoon boat that had colored accent lighting, and all sorts of "features" like reclining seats with cup holders, wet bar (etc).

digi40919915_l.jpg

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Ya, I actually sat on that one for a little bit.

I loved the recessed LED's and the couches (lol, seating) felt like leather.
It was something stupid like $50k or something for a goddamn pontoon boat.

MH 942

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Crowley
The best was a $$$ luxury pontoon boat that had colored accent lighting, and all sorts of "features" like reclining seats with cup holders, wet bar (etc).

digi40919915_l.jpg

That would look good with a pulpit on it and 3 GIANTS on deck!:D

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
That would look good with a pulpit on it and 3 GIANTS on deck!:D

Stopped by the Boston show yesterday, that stupid mess was there in all it's glory. Plus about 100 others and 100 more of those inane ski boats. However, I was pleasantly surprised to see some more DE-type exhibitors that last year. Or more accurately I guess they chose to exhibit better boats this year.

Journey's End was there from Rockland, displaying a 20' MC center console. I talked to the guy for a bit, they have the rest of the MC molds but I got the impression business has been slow, i.e. they haven't built a big boat in a while.

Eastern was there with a few boats, including a 31' (JC) decked out for crusing with a 330hp D6. Boat show price :rolleyes: $270K.

Seaway was there with a couple boats as well, I like their value prop, tough little boats at what I believe are fair prices.

And last but far from least, Fortier had a tricked out 33' express with.....wait for it........IPS drives. They build an incredible boat, I'd rather have that boat with a single diesel but I supposed the pods are more marketable to the general (albeit deep-pocketed) boating public.

Cummins NE was there with several motors on display, as was the local Yanmar distributor (can't recall who it was), and there was a random Volvo D6 sitting in the corner of one display--I was confused by that.

All-in-all I was pleased to see at least some DE-style representation at the show, sprinkled in amongst the jet skis, 'toons and sailbotes.

gmac

Captain
Nice to here. I was in Miami this weekend and spent one day at show, did not see one DE.

Last edited:

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
Heading to the Boston Show tomorrow. Will be there when it opens at 1:00pm with the wife and kids. Eastern is supposed to have their new 27' Islander (Although Frank Grimes didn't mention it), also, a Seaway 27' Seafarer. I'll look out for that Mitchell Cove too.

Cutwater will have a 30' that will be of interest to the family. It's not a Downeaster, but they market it as a "Downeast Style". It's kind of like a RV for the water (made by Ranger Tug).

Rosborough is supposed to have their last Canadian built boat there, but it's the same sedan cruiser that I've seen 10 times before. Really interested in their custom wheelhouse, might have to go to Milford NH to see that when they start building them...

I don't have any money for any new boat, but it's a good diversion for February. Supposed to get a foot of snow on Sunday...

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Ya I'm going on Sunday around noontime or so...want to see if there's any deals on a multifunction display unit for my boat. Want to pay cheap and cash lol maybe find someone that doesn't want to lug it back to their store. Pipe dream probably but we'll see how it goes.

Keep my eyes peeled out for the DE's as well, see if I can grab a few pictures and post them here for all to see...

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
Stopped by the Boston show yesterday, that stupid mess was there in all it's glory. Plus about 100 others and 100 more of those inane ski boats. However, I was pleasantly surprised to see some more DE-type exhibitors that last year. Or more accurately I guess they chose to exhibit better boats this year.

Journey's End was there from Rockland, displaying a 20' MC center console. I talked to the guy for a bit, they have the rest of the MC molds but I got the impression business has been slow, i.e. they haven't built a big boat in a while.

Eastern was there with a few boats, including a 31' (JC) decked out for crusing with a 330hp D6. Boat show price :rolleyes: $270K.

Seaway was there with a couple boats as well, I like their value prop, tough little boats at what I believe are fair prices.

And last but far from least, Fortier had a tricked out 33' express with.....wait for it........IPS drives. They build an incredible boat, I'd rather have that boat with a single diesel but I supposed the pods are more marketable to the general (albeit deep-pocketed) boating public.

Cummins NE was there with several motors on display, as was the local Yanmar distributor (can't recall who it was), and there was a random Volvo D6 sitting in the corner of one display--I was confused by that.

All-in-all I was pleased to see at least some DE-style representation at the show, sprinkled in amongst the jet skis, 'toons and sailbotes.

Went tonight with my 15yr old. Frank, this is a very good assesment. I bought a couple of electronic segull deterents. Hopefully they work.

Top Bottom