Best bottom paint to use for a trailered boat

jimbo

Ensign
Boat Make
I do not posess one at the present time
I will be splashing my retirement job shortly and I was wondering which antifouling paint to use. I plan on trailering for the first year or two, but eventually getting a mooring. it is an 18.ft. F/G uncored. Has anyone had any experience with the new water biased bottom paint?​

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Try the Pettit Hydrocoat, it is water based and fairly hard multi season ablative paint that should hold up to bouncing on and off the trailer.

Ernie

Commander
Try the Pettit Hydrocoat, it is water based and fairly hard multi season ablative paint that should hold up to bouncing on and off the trailer.
I second Pettit hydro coat
Just be sure to correctly de wax your bottom and prep either 80 grit sand or use the Pettit bottom prep

pdrheat

Ensign
First Name
Paul
I third the Pettit hydrocoat. If the bottom has never been painted, I would suggest researching if it needs a base coat. Used the hydrocoat for over 10 years on my Shamrock. No sanding. Cleans up with a hose and green pad. Brushes clean with water. Can paint over thru hull transducers as they require water base paint.

RobBaker

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Eastern Sisu 22
My Eastern Sisu 22 came from the factory with a west marine water base paint. I trailer my boat and this product works for me.

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

MAArcher

Rear Admiral
If it was me I wouldn't put ablative paint on a trailered boat. That stuff is miserable, looks like crap and gets all over you every time you have to crawl under the boat for trailer maintenance or retrieve the a frisbee your kids through under there or whatever.

Not to highjack the thread, but does anyone know how to get ablative paint off? Is there a cleaner that might work well with a pressure washer? I'd love to get all my bottom paint off so I could paint the bottom with regular hull paint.

If you're going to trailer the boat for a while, would it make sense to delay paining the bottom until you need it? That way if things change and you don't end up putting it on a mooring, you won't have made a not easily reversible mistake.

Top Bottom