Best sportfishing platform 30' and under

tecateando

Ensign
I am torn between a H&H 29 and Calvin Beal 30 for a offshore sportfishing platform. If anyone has experience running or riding these boats in bad conditions for long distances I would appreciate you sharing your experience.

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
I would go with the 30 Calvin Beal. Wide beam, fast, efficient, room for a big prop, really sweet looking, and purchasing a boat designed by a legendary boat designer/builder is icing on the cake.

Hooper

Captain
Is the SW Boatworks Calvin Beal 30 the same hull as the South Shore 30 also a Calvin Beal design as I understand it?

John 40

Lieutenant Commander
I have a pettegrow 30 in Gloucester, happy to take you for a ride on it. The calvin Beal 30 looks like a very nice boat. Good to sea trial as many boats as you can.

tecateando

Ensign
Yeah, I am going to take a friends 29 (who is having another 29 built from the same mold) for a spin too and have to option to change my mind if I prefer it. Its probably between those two because they are the largest boats 30' and under ($$$ at the marina) from that area. I grew up fishing back there and want a very specific platform to build my dream boat on.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
I have a pettegrow 30 in Gloucester, happy to take you for a ride on it. The calvin Beal 30 looks like a very nice boat. Good to sea trial as many boats as you can.

I sea trialed eight 8 DEs before I bought the 25 T Jason.

Johns 30 MLP with Cummins 480 power was one.....what a very very nice hull !!!

Beamie

Commander
Is the SW Boatworks Calvin Beal 30 the same hull as the South Shore 30 also a Calvin Beal design as I understand it?

Both Calvin designs but different boats if your talking about the new CB30 that just came out the last few months. Bigger beam, a bit bigger boat as a result but still both nice boats.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power

tecateando

Ensign
So whats the big deal with the walk around house ?? Just curious ?

Offshore fishing out here is a mix of 2 things: trolling and drifting by kelp paddies. The bow is the best place to fish the paddies, but getting back and forth is a pain in the #@$# and dangerous with a tuna or yellowtail on the line if there is not enough room to walk. I don't like passing thousand dollar rods back and forth either.

I will obviously loose a lot of cabin space, but its a nice happy medium for people who like the 360 degree fishability of center consoles but are sick of getting wet.

duxbait

Captain
It is a huge advantage when fishing for bluefins to be able to walk the rod to the bow, fish rods off the bow on a weird drift or anchored up when lines are drifting off the bow. A walkaround will basically get rid of many of the causes of chaos when tuna fishing

Poco Loco

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
38' Calvin Beal
Just got my name on the list for a 30 Calvin Beal next April. I'm going to wait to sea trial her until November when things get a little more interesting.
Made my deposit in August for the new Calvin Beal 30 for a March 2014 hull.
FPT 6.7 570 HP 2" shaft 28" prop. I'd offer you a ride but yours might be done before mine.

Top Bottom