BHM prop shaft bearing wedges and keel bolts loose

AGL

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Martin
Boat Make
Custom
Could you do what plowin suggested? It's an easy way to make sure the bearing is concentric with the shaft. That may not work too well with Starboard though, because things don't stick to it too well.

The bolts might wallow around in the oversized holes. The slippery starboard is not going to help that.

Any other ideas other than building a lay-up with matt, resin, and cabosil right on the boat? That would be a more desirable, reliable, and permanent solution I think. I know that wood is not desirable, but some teak epoxied up well and bonded into place is a lesser of two evils compared to starboard in that particular application.

As then final step, plowin's suggestion remains a very good one. I know it works because I did it too, but with cotton fibers, but then mine was out only 3/32.

"The wedges are often made with cabosil or some like kind of product and the stern bearing is lightly bolted up squishing your chosen filler out and allowing you to shape it after it kicks. Your shaft angle seems significant in that picture and may not be possible using this technique however. Lastly, if you use wax paper between the cutlas bearing and the cabosil it wont stick to the cutlas once it kicks. Make sure that the deadwood on the keel is cleaned up and acetone so that the cabosil will stick to that and become part of the hull."

Davegagne21

Ensign
First Name
Dave
I had 316 stainless but I will break down and will grab bronze ones. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
None of my business but looks like you still have wood under your housing, haven't heard of crevice corrosion on SS, are using soft slippery for wedges. You insisted on cutting up your keel so why don't you do it right.

Davegagne21

Ensign
First Name
Dave
Could you do what plowin suggested? It's an easy way to make sure the bearing is concentric with the shaft. That may not work too well with Starboard though, because things don't stick to it too well.

The bolts might wallow around in the oversized holes. The slippery starboard is not going to help that.

Any other ideas other than building a lay-up with matt, resin, and cabosil right on the boat? That would be a more desirable, reliable, and permanent solution I think. I know that wood is not desirable, but some teak epoxied up well and bonded into place is a lesser of two evils compared to starboard in that particular application.

As then final step, plowin's suggestion remains a very good one. I know it works because I did it too, but with cotton fibers, but then mine was out only 3/32.

"The wedges are often made with cabosil or some like kind of product and the stern bearing is lightly bolted up squishing your chosen filler out and allowing you to shape it after it kicks. Your shaft angle seems significant in that picture and may not be possible using this technique however. Lastly, if you use wax paper between the cutlas bearing and the cabosil it wont stick to the cutlas once it kicks. Make sure that the deadwood on the keel is cleaned up and acetone so that the cabosil will stick to that and become part of the hull."
I will etch/scratch lines in a grid on the starboard so it does not slip and set it in 5200. My wedge went from 1/2” to nothing in 6”. I felt the 1/2” was too wide to fill with epoxy even with filler. I am a good carpenter/woodworker but this fiberglass stuff I am no expert for sure. I will set the starboard bolt backing in thickened epoxy inside the keel. The bolts had warn into the fiberglass in the keel previously and I wanted something stiffer back there so I decided starboard in west marine epoxy would make a nice hard bolting surface. I will not use a lock nut inside the keel but will have a washer. I have been busy on other projects and when you tear someone’s sink out of their kitchen there is a sense of urgency in getting something set up before counter tops show up. I will get back to this in a couple of days. Thanks for all the great advise.

Top Bottom