BHM vs Calvin Beal 31ft to 36ft Help me pick one

Captain
Looking at buying a lobster boat 31ft to 36ft, Can anyone give me good info on what boat is a better ride and value?

Looking to run up to 30 miles offshore working the boat for crab. 1 to 3 hour ride out to pots, 4 to 8 hours pulling pots and back home. Can be head seas out to the grounds and a big following seas coming home.

I have heard that the 31ft BHM is not that good of a ride in following seas? Not sure about the Calvin Beal.

I like both boats, but have never been on one. Can anyone give me some good info here on either boat? Thanks for any help. Jenny

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
If you are not looking for speed then it is going to be hard to beat the BHM overall at 16kts. If speed and efficiency are what you are after than go with the Calvin.
The BHM's are the trucks of the boat world. They carry weight well and deliver a good ride in all seas. They just don't go fast economically.

Captain
16 knots is enough as I will have to watch fuel burn. Its always nice to have speed so I guess the CB wins in that case, but in this case I am more interested in the ride. With a heavy load and without a heavy load. In bad slop and chop head seas and coming home in a following seas.......Thanks for the replys and others would be great.

nick4634

Lieutenant
There's a big difference between a 31 and a 36 as far as load capacity and handling. Any of the beals and bhms in that size will handle well and carry some serious gear. Figure out what you can spend and get the cleanest biggest boat at that price. Just as important as the hull is engine and gear. And house setup. A 31 with a split house is really cramped and a winter back is a lot better. As far as a following sea just get a big rudder and power steering and you'll fish through anything

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Because there aren't any 25 to 30 year old Calvins for sale. BHMs have been around for a while, and were the "biggest little boat" back in the day (and the bay.) The Calvin Beal designs are more recent.

ripta13

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
1996 31 BHM
cant speak for the calvin beal since i never been on one but as far as the bhm goes the more wind you have, the more you ll be impressed with the ride. any direction.

Top Bottom