Big Horsepower engine options

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
What engines are 700hp or more in a commercial rating? Looks like Iveco has a 13 liter that is 750hp in their A2 rating, and the C-18 Cat is 885 hp in their D rating. It also looks like the Volvo D13 has a commercial rating of 700hp. Does MAN or Scania also have a 700-800hp commercially rated engine? A friend is thinking of having a boat built and wants to go with a lot of power in a 40' boat. I would personally go with the Deere 13.5 liter at 650hp, but it sounds like he wants more than 650hp.

Last edited:

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Need more power to push boatloads of reds back to the cannery? or to get back to the line for another set ??
Hope your catching lots of fish my friend, seems like you guys are getting lots of fishing time.

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
This guy likes speed, so the more hp the better.

We had a really good season this year, on one 12-hour opener (July 19th), I filled up all the fish holds in my 37' Wegley. 21,600 pounds of salmon under the hatches. That's 3,349 salmon!! We had a one set that was about 15,000 pounds in 200 fathoms of net. It was loaded with reds to say the least! I've never seen fish that thick in my life, and this is my 15th season. We had about 13 days in a row of fish openings, which is almost unheard of. We are all tired, I just pulled my boat yesterday and am getting it ready to turn over to the new owner. Next year I'm looking for a good, young deck hand that likes to pick fish.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power

We had a really good season this year, on one 12-hour opener (July 19th), I filled up all the fish holds in my 37' Wegley. 21,600 pounds of salmon under the hatches. That's 3,349 salmon!! We had a one set that was about 15,000 pounds in 200 fathoms of net. It was loaded with reds to say the least! I've never seen fish that thick in my life, and this is my 15th season. We had about 13 days in a row of fish openings, which is almost unheard of. We are all tired, I just pulled my boat yesterday and am getting it ready to turn over to the new owner. Next year I'm looking for a good, young deck hand that likes to pick fish.

Quite the life, doing what you LOVE:D

Build boats, make money fishing the boats, $sell$ the boats !! ;)

Nice !!!!

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
What engines are 700hp or more in a commercial rating? Looks like Iveco has a 13 liter that is 750hp in their A2 rating, and the C-18 Cat is 885 hp in their D rating. It also looks like the Volvo D13 has a commercial rating of 700hp. Does MAN or Scania also have a 700-800hp commercially rated engine? A friend is thinking of having a boat built and wants to go with a lot of power in a 40' boat. I would personally go with the Deere 13.5 liter at 650hp, but it sounds like he wants more than 650hp.

I would go scania before FIAT (iveco).

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
JD does have a 750HP 13.5L

The 750hp is a recreational only rating, can't install it in a commercial fishing vessel. The JD 13.5 at 650hp redlines at 2,100 rpms, which is a lower rpm than the other 13 liters in the 650-700hp range. So it is putting out massive torque.

Bill- I've been interested in boats and fishing since I was real young, so building boats and fishing as an adult is a very enjoyable occupation.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM

Thats great Brian :D glad you had a good season. Hope you didn't have to leave fish to go and deliver, there's always deckloading !! I had a set in bristol bay for 18,000 lbs once, yeah lots of fish. I was out on the sound and they opened up in front of the hatchery on ester island to clean up all the excess dogs (chum salmon) and the gillnetters there were doing 30,000lbs a day, its not easy picking dark toothy ugly dogs but at 60 cents its sure worth it. I think a few guys had close to 400,000lbs there in a couple of weeks.
Did the fishing slow down enough for you to quit? Still sounds like a lot of fish moving into the river?? Was it only you and Dad on the boat ? I'm not young but i can pick fish fast, don't drink or smoke, where do i put my application in ? If you've got any time before you leave give me a call and we'll meet in town.

jojobee

Commander
The 6AY is IMO compliant not tier compliant. Go with the Scania. Great engine and great support. PM me and I will direct you to the local salesman.

Joe

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
GM 60 series.Scania,I would stay away from.Cat seems to have the most choices and probably the best track record with big HP.I would buy something you see around,like in equiptment and trucks .

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Steve- The last opener was pretty slow, and I'm in a hurry to get back and start work on my Wesmac, plus I'm selling my 37' Wegley and trying to get it cleaned up and ready for the new owner, so scratching out another thousand dollars just wasn't worth it to me. My deck hand this year was my father in law, he's fished up here a few seasons, but he's 61, and I'm wanting someone for next year who can really pick fish and not slow down and go day after day. All things considered, we did really good, but I still want someone for next year who can keep up with me.

As if I'm not going to busy enough this winter, I've got a friend who is seriously thinking about having my dad and I build him a 40' in B'ham. We would do the building and sea trial and he would outfit the boat. We don't have time or energy to turn-key 2 gillnetters before next year's season.

amarshall

Lieutenant Commander
Iveco 800 detuned to 750 hp for warranty. From a 38 NB

IMAG0333.jpg

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Amarshall- What kind of speed and fuel burn does that 750hp Iveco get? What's your overall impression of the engine and it's performance? Any issues with the engine, how many hours so far? Thanks.

amarshall

Lieutenant Commander
Amarshall- What kind of speed and fuel burn does that 750hp Iveco get? What's your overall impression of the engine and it's performance? Any issues with the engine, how many hours so far? Thanks.

Cruises at 22 knots at 17 gph
I've had it pinned on the way back from George's at 32 knots at 44 gph. I'm sure I had a few more knots in it.

It has earth pulling torque. Scary how fast it gets a 38 NB up on a plane. He had a few issues initially with filters (not sure which). No issues since.

I know he got a good deal on the engine.

camera phone picture of 32 knots

184117_10150259345452449_720342448_7577501_946394_n.jpg

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM

Brian is there any service for Iveco in Kenai/Soldotna ? I'm guessing this engine is for a inlet gillnetter? I don't know of any in los anchorage.

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
The Iveco dealer that I deal with in Seattle claims there is going to be a dealer/service in Anchorage coming soon, it's supposed to be in the works. There have been a good number of Iveco's installed recently in boats that work out of the Kenai peninsula, the Bay, and PWS. They were all sold through the Seattle dealer. I think you are going to see a lot of the 6.7's going into jet powered bow and stern pickers in the coming years. I already know of a number of boats that have gone that route and I know of some boats currently in the works that will have Iveco 6.7's in them. I only used my Iveco for 1 season, but I was thorougly impressed with all aspects of it's performace, fuel use, etc. My fuel burn was shockingly low this year. I think the 6.7 in the 370hp or 420hp commercial versions are a home run, and cost less than the Cummins of similar size and hp.

Top Bottom