Bilge Coatings

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
I've been thinking about products to cover and brighten up the raw fiberglass of the inside of a new build hull. Seems todays hulls are "burgundy" in color.
My old 77 Bertram was "medium green" like my 96 Blackfin.

When I rehabbed my 96 Blackfin the engine room portion of the hull was "raw" fiberglass. The medium "green" color with mat showing.

After I made every effort to scrub out the fiberglass that was stained with oil/diesel/sludge etc. from years of leaking engines I chose a two part epoxy chemical resistant marine coating from Carboline.
I did some reasearch, asked the experts coast to coast and chose this marine coating.

http://www.carboline.com/products/p...ducts-by-application/product-details/?app=Two Pack Finishes&product=0983

Application was easy, stuff is tough and nails and made for submersion.
I rolled it and brushed it on with excellent results. One coat.
Come in a ton of colors etc.
DO NOT apply this stuff in a closed area without a respirator.
Oil drips, diesel fuel, bilge sludge wipes right up with no staining.
I chose a light "navy gray"

I also researched BilgeKote and the product had "mixed reviews" from guys that had used it over the years.
Bilgekote Topside Paint | Interlux

I'm thinking the majority of DE builders/finishers use gel coat either sprayed, rolled or brushed.
Poliya | Products > Polijel Gelcoats > Chemical Resistant

This stuff is a chemical resistant gel coat. I have "no clue" about regular bilge gel coat.

What do you guys use or what have you used?

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
Bill D...you must be reading my mind....need to do same on mine but was just going to use the bildgecote. where are you seeing the "mixed" results. another forum? :confused: Can't wait for this weather to break.

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
Bill D...you must be reading my mind....need to do same on mine but was just going to use the bildgecote. where are you seeing the "mixed" results. another forum? :confused: Can't wait for this weather to break.

Yes, I recall more than one report of "staining" over time. Can't recall where.
I spent some time looking over the Sherwin Williams product Elmar posted..
Decent stuff and the company offers many "marine" products.

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
Gelcoat

Color change from green to auburns, is chemical changes in poly over the years.

before

genarea.jpg

after

genareagelcoated2.jpg

genareagelcoated.jpg

Last edited:

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
My bildge has already been painted so I will be just going over the old paint. Bildgecote has my vote at present. original owner had tried to do gelcote, but he screwed it up somehow, and I now get BIG chips falling off. therefore,,PAINT it is

Last edited:

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
I did half my bilge with awlgrip, and its awesome. I ran out of what i had and kind of forgot about it for a while. I wanted to finish it up the next year and i had some bilgecoat laying around, so on it went. It has held up just as well. It is cheaper and easier to deal with too. I will say it takes a couple of weeks to really harden off in cool weather.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Bilgekote it's held up 10 years on my old boat with no chipping. I also use it on the inside of all my bunks and cabinets. A gallon is only around $60 and it's easy to use.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
My bildge has already been painted so I will be just going over the old paint. Bildgecote has my vote at present. original owner had tried to do gelcote, but he screwed it up somehow, and I now get BIG cips falling off. therefore,,PAINT it is
The some How is not preping the hull.....you must get all the wax off the inside of the hull before painting

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
Bilgekote it's held up 10 years on my old boat with no chipping. I also use it on the inside of all my bunks and cabinets. A gallon is only around $60 and it's easy to use.

Ditto here. It's cheap and tough as nails. The gray color hides a lot of sins that the white would easily show. I used it on the bow seats too.

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
huntress, tuna, and eastporter,,,thank you guys for the positive replys!
will be buying the bildgecot on monday, as they are closed today (Sat.)

Bill D...I think theses guys have good knowledge on subject!
When you coming home from FLA?

MD145 thanks...I think you are right,he f'd up on original, application.
I will be doing all I can to make sure area is as clean as I can get it befores applying new covering:wink:

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
huntress, tuna, and eastporter,,,thank you guys for the positive replys!
will be buying the bildgecot on monday, as they are closed today (Sat.)

Bill D...I think theses guys have good knowledge on subject!
When you coming home from FLA?

MD145 thanks...I think you are right,he f'd up on original, application.
I will be doing all I can to make sure area is as clean as I can get it befores applying new covering:wink:

Next week Tomy, gotta get one motor back together (after cooler impeller) then the other side (the problem with twins...two of everything)

I'd go with Bilgecote Tomy, it's cheap.

The Carboline two part epoxy paint I used on the Blackfin is great stuff.

I guess my original question was "if" gel coat was more pourous than epoxy or other paints ??

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
Anyone have a rough estimate or know how much tile clad is from sherman williams? Can you get gallons or just 5 gal buckets ? Thanks in advance looking to use it on deck of midland.. Wondering if I should just use interdeck again or try this stuff

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make

Latest Posts

Top Bottom