Bill D's 25 T Jason rehab/repower project

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
It does look good. Jealous of your cleanliness- what did you use to degrease?

Looking at the pics of the bilge and specifically this one (attached), I wonder if it wouldnt be a better job to scribe some stringers instead of thru bolting them the way they were. In other words, the fiberglassed in stringers had 2x8's (?) bolted to them to support the deck beams. You could clamp the new ones in place the same way they were, transfer (scribe) a line at the top of the glassed in stringers to the side of the new 2x's and then cut to the line and sit the extension on top of the fiberglassed stringers. Less weight in wood and fasteners, direct bearing/support and you would gain 1 1/2' in width in the bays to install your fuel tanks.

Just a thought. only 4 to do too. I dont think you need the added stiffness fore and aft either. Just thinking out loud....

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
forgot to attach your pic- see the old sister stringer? It could sit on top of the glassed in stringer if it were cut to do so.

image.jpg

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Thanks for the suggestions.

I have a few months before I get to that point where the floor is going back down. LOTs to do before then.

There will be no "sistering" of supports on the outside or inside of hull stringers and my plan is to use as little wood and fasteners under the deck as possible.

Also, I haven't made my mind up on twin 45-50 gal. under floor tanks or a single 90-100 gal. stern tank.

My focus right now is to get the hull inside and out as clean as possible before it gets too cold to use a garden house and the boat finally gets indoors.

The boat "should be" indoors in 3 weeks or so.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Looking at that pic again, the inboard stringer is done just the way I was describing... could have saved myself some typing if I had looked more closely.

Keep the pics coming. Looks good and I can tell you have been busy.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I am sure this will be a great post with Bill and updating it... Looking forward to it...

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
Billy are you going to drill a couple of holes in the stringers to see if the black spots are rot or just staining? I haven't got there yet and am nervous to do so but think it's the right time to do it

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
No rot there Bill, ALL stains from the Volvo.
There are holes from the "sistered" stringers and steel engine beds.
All holes are nice dry fresh wood.
The starboard stingers were on the exhaust side of the engine.
The exhaust was not air tight.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
You must have some German in ya !! you sure love to clean things ! Looks great Bill just amazing what a good scrubbing will do to things.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
What are you using to clean all of that off? Any chance you are about 18" tall and want to come clean my boat and bilges? I would pay $5/hour...:grin:

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
You must have some German in ya !! you sure love to clean things ! Looks great Bill just amazing what a good scrubbing will do to things.

No German.
50% French Canadian, 1/4 American Irish, .25 American English.

The cabin will look MUCH better with a coat of Carboline 2 part epoxy paint "off white" and the engine bay and center bilge back to the stern with the same epoxy paint "light gray"

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
What are you using to clean all of that off? Any chance you are about 18" tall and want to come clean my boat and bilges? I would pay $5/hour...:grin:

Buy/borrow a dump trailer.

GUT the area needed to be degreased and get to it, "scrub a dub dub" like I did:D SEE PICTURE

Castrol Super Clean
Purple Power
Greased Lighting

Be CAREFUL of skin irration, I got a nice raw area on my forearm where my fleece got saoked with the stuff.

IMG_1682.jpg

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Bill where are you buying the paint?

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Got it mostly gutted just need to clean bilge then get to scrubbing. Today maybe. Oh joy.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Buy/borrow a dump trailer.

GUT the area needed to be degreased and get to it, "scrub a dub dub" like I did:D SEE PICTURE

Castrol Super Clean
Purple Power
Greased Lighting

Be CAREFUL of skin irration, I got a nice raw area on my forearm where my fleece got saoked with the stuff.

I see enough scrap in there for a set of stairs ??

Top Bottom