Binoculars - non electronic post

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
So was wondering what people had to say about binoculars. First off I didnt know what a good pair of binoculars were until A. I got on a real ship and B. I got my own pair of Fujiron's. I had a nice $220 pair from Boaters World, wow what a different compared to what I thought was a good pair of Bushnells, lol.

So been looking at buying one or the other here, wondering what people have to say, I dont really want to go past the $200 phase. Other than that I do not really know much about them.

Any input?

Fujinon Defender Marine Binoculars

This is the one I really like, reminds me of what we see on our gov't ships..

Fujinon BIF Series Binoculars

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I'm pissed that I gave those Fujiron's away, figure I'd be out of the game for a while and the guy that bought my boat was nice. I had them for 10 years with no problems etc.

So funny but I remember the day I got them. It was from the check on the H&H 40 for the first bluefin we caught that fall. Went out to Sam Diego's then hit up the old Boaters World in Hyannis, god, dont go there drunk with money pouring out of your hands. Miss Boaters world on some levels...

ianbw

Lieutenant
Website
www.northforkoysters.com
Boat Make
Sisu 26
Great topic and thanks for the two you listed. I too never knew what I was missing until I really looked through a good pair.

Any thoughts on other features- compass or rangefinder?

Tower Todd

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.mountainequipmentservices.com
Boat Make
Albemarle 28
I've got a pair of the nikon stabileyes and they are really good, but less expensive than the fujicons(sp?). I was lucky when I got mine - I didn't have to pay for them. I have a friend of a friend that wanted to start a rock quarry and needed financing for all of his equipment. I knew a company that liked those kind of deals and introduced them to each other. A while later the finance company called and wanted to give me a finder's fee and I directed them to a catalog and part number for the binoculars I wanted. A few days later they showed up. Pretty sweet. I'll probably never get lucky like that again.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Although I wish I had the money for the imagine stabilization I dont think I'd buy one. Granted they are great, I noticed that I was almost afraid to use them when I had them on a bigger boat I ran in college.

What I notice from just moving from a $60 pair to $200 pair is the quickness in being able to focus with your eye made it easier.

Unless you are naviguessing on a chart for reference points I think I would lay off the compass and take that money and buy a better grade. I had the compass/light and really didnt do much for me with fishing, again navigating can serve different purpose.

Whats amazing is we have a pair of West Marine $130 something up here on the bridge then what I believe is the gov't version of the milspec fujiron and man amazing difference...

Top Bottom