Bird color for Green Stick?

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
I just finished building a bird for a buddy that is adding a GS to his boat this spring, and I wanted to ask those of you that have fished one before, do you feel that the color of the bird makes any difference at all towards making the stick more effective? So before I go and paint the thing, should I just keep it simple and paint it white or do try and make the thing look like a fish? What do you guys think?

IMG_0391[1].jpg

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
I agree and that is what is making me think I need to be a bit more creative with the paint.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Id want a color I could see but maybe add some flash to it for visual stimulant?

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Mahi colors or orange or white. :D

Did you weight it ?

Whatever you do, make the first coat thinned white oil base paint to prevent checking.

Chris, I like that tape, will that stuff hold up in the water?

Bryan, I have not weighed it, should I? What should it weigh? I think we are going to have to smelt some lead for the weights.
Thanks for the tip on the paint, I have a plan to keep the checking in check.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Chris, I like that tape, will that stuff hold up in the water?

Bryan, I have not weighed it, should I? What should it weigh? I think we are going to have to smelt some lead for the weights.
Thanks for the tip on the paint, I have a plan to keep the checking in check.

you could paint it and let it cure/offgas. then apply the tape and clear the shit out of it no?

Looks like the tape they use on birds, planer boards, lures etc

Last edited:

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
I have no idea but I do know you need a few more spreader bars!

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
I have no idea but I do know you need a few more spreader bars!

Blitzen's rasta bars certainly are teasing us aren't they!

Ok they aren't rasta but they are they mint canyon color combo. forget what its called lol

Frigate

Captain
Boat Make
38' Duffy/Flower
Paint it the same colors as your spreader bar squids in your picture. If you don't catch fish with it, you can troll it by Fire Island. LOL

Back in the day when we were making wood birds for trolling, we would stop the cracking by sealing the wood with fiberglass resin cut good with styrene. Never had one crack.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Paint it the same colors as your spreader bar squids in your picture. If you don't catch fish with it, you can troll it by Fire Island. LOL

Back in the day when we were making wood birds for trolling, we would stop the cracking by sealing the wood with fiberglass resin cut good with styrene. Never had one crack.

I heard the fire island/ P town birds are pink and brown with a hole in them :shock:

greg

Captain
I don't know about the bling, but I put strips of SOLAS reflective tape on the bird and sealed it down with some thin epoxy at the edges. It held up all season.

More importantly, if you shine a light on it at night it pops right out. They can be very hard to see if you pull them at the ends of a day.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I think I have to go with action is more important... shiny looks good for sure... I kept mine white and it seemed to work... Wondering about getting a different style for next year to just have more of a choice...

I was a little bothered by the amount of fish I drove over and didnt raise this year with it. Overall, minus the bigeye I was very happy with what I did.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
Last edited:
Top Bottom