1st Mate
Lite User
Boat Make
23 Crowley Beal

Downrigga

Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
Never found a. Black sea bass in a bf belly. I don't think they hang out in the same haunts do they?

CapeCodNorton

1st Mate
Lite User
Boat Make
23 Crowley Beal

Downrigga

Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
I suppose. I had one spit out 4 sand sharks at the stern one day. Never knew they ate sand sharks. I think you would be better off with traditional baits like bluefish, herring, cod, or macs. Not sure how hearty a bsb would be.

Sonoma

Deckhand
CapeCodNorton, did you ever end up hooking up on the BSB? anyone ever had luck using live scup? was thinking about it, all that silver flashing around midwater... you'd think it would do pretty good

Codcruncher

Admiral
Lite User

Tautog

Deckhand
First Name
Joe
I have caught yellowfin in the canyon on scup.. definitely not my first choice of bait though

CapeCodNorton

1st Mate
Lite User
Boat Make
23 Crowley Beal
Last edited:

Kiteboy

Commodore
First Name
Liam
hah thats cool, chunked out or live? I may try a scup or two this year, god knows theyre easy enough to come by
Few years back we could not find any bait and I had scup in a cooler with an airator in it for bass at the dock. At the end of the day when we had no bait left we sent one out. Nothing on it. Have heard of a few people catching stuff at canyons with them but never a bft.

bigtunaslut

Deckhand
First Name
Dave
I’ve caught a few bluefin on scup before, including a 78 incher. Few years when there wasn’t much bait we’d grab a dozen on our way back from the canyons and keep them penned up in case we couldn’t get any pogies. They work but I’d opt for lots of other baits over a scup.

Aloop

1st Mate
Way back during the Noman's bite, what where those tunas eating there?

southshore30

Admiral
Lite User
Boat Make
36 Northern Bay

Aloop

1st Mate
I’ve fished two winters for Bluefin out of Beaufort NC. Mostly a troll game down there with ballyhoo and ribbon fish rigged on islanders and Joe Shute lures. It’s pretty shallow water there and lots of shipwrecks scattered around. We learned to not troll straight over the shallower wrecks around 60-70’ that were marking bait above it in the water column. Horse and select ballyhoo get expensive when monster blue head sea bass are eating your 12” hoos and you are dragging them around on 130’s. We never got bit dragging a sea bass lol. I can’t imagine why they wouldn’t eat one though. Plenty around in the Carolinas to feed on when they are down there in wintertime
Not fatty, oily enough

southshore30

Admiral
Lite User
Boat Make
36 Northern Bay
Last edited:

Top Bottom