Block and Tackle

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Looking for a good source for a heavy duty block and tackle w/ 100 feet of line; google doesn't turn up much. Thanks.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Thanks mojo, but that looks like the little one w/ 50' of line that I've already got one of; looking for something more heavy duty, and haven't turned much up aside from ebay.

Beamie

Commander
How much of a load are you lifting. What advantage are you looking for x6? Rope Dia etc. Your question is a bit vague.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
OK; looking for 3 over 3, probably 100' of 1/2" rope, not 1/2" pulleys

Lifting 200 pounds mostly, occasionally double that.

The one from Fisherman's is really nice, but looking to spend maybe half that at most and order from somewhere I can talk to a live person if need be.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Thanks; Those seem really nice, couple of hundred per block based on some other vendors who show the prices for the same. Like so many things, looks like you get either a POS f/ a few bucks or the real deal for hundreds. Had no idea about blocks until now. Anyone here ever break the cheap 3 over 3's lifting a few hundred pounds? Was planning to spend maybe up to $150, but it's looking like all or nothing.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Try calling Rose's Marine in Gloucester or New England Marine & Industrial or Hamilton Marine, all good outfits to deal with. No commercial supply outfits your way ??? Know a lineman who works for the power & light co ?? they use them :p

Keeper

Lieutenant
Try CG Edwards in So Boston or anyone who sells Crosby block. Edwards # 617 268-4111

Last edited by a moderator:

Bulman711

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
31 JC
I saw one on craigslist for 150 up in this area I think it was on the RI page. Ill take a look and see if I can find it.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Thanks guys, but evne that "large" version on Amazon is basically the same cheap rig I've already got best I can tell. 4000 pounds w/ cheap 3/8 three strand rope. Seems quite a stretch, no pun intended. When you read the reviews, that product doesn't look so good. I might be spending $300 or $400 on wood shell blocks when I all is said and done. Or maybe I'll just get 100' of better 3/8 rope and hope the pulleys I have don't seize up or break if I put it to the test someday. Again, I appreciate everyone's input so far. We've got a hell of a good group here.

Overkill

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
44 Calvin Beal
3/8 rope in a 3 over 3 block and tackle will be plenty for four or five hundred. Each section of rope will only have on sixth of the total weight on it. 3/8 pot warp type rope can handle several hundred pounds on it's own. Try Alariobros. on EBay they have good galvanized ones at a good price. ( can't do a link from my phone). 4 inch galvanized triple for $48 each.

Last edited:

FVSD

Lieutenant Commander
I've used the one mojo posted and its all you need. Spray it with corrosion block and you be all in for $20. Most of the marinized block and tackle for GBFT are $300.

Top Bottom