Block Island to Nantucket

Big Joe

1st Mate
Boat Make
22' Sisu
Good morning DEBF. I’m going to be heading to Nantucket next week from Block Island. N avionics has me going South of Martha’s Vineyard. Is this the proper route? Or should I plane on cruising north of the Vineyard through the Vineyard Sound? Any tips would be appreciated.

Steve285

Deckhand
I would prefer to stay inside. More access to safe harbor and services if needed. Absolutely zero access on the outside of islands. Look at forecast, I would depart early and get to Nantucket before wind comes up in the sound normally daily after 2:00 pm

novivin

Admiral
Lite User

xbskt

Admiral
First Name
Jeff
Boat Make
13 Whaler, 14 Salty Boats, 28 Crowley Beal, 36 Northern Bay. WTF!?!
Muskeget channel can suck in all but slack variable conditions.
Stay north of the Vineyard and go much more east than you would think to stay in the lane shown on the chart and shaols are not an issue.
Once east you turn south for a straight shot to the Jetty.
There is current but that same current is the one flowing through Muskeget channel but much more restricted with higher volume. Better to stay in the Sound. More to eyball to Port and Starbard and you run through between the Vineyard and Falmouth also.
Time it right and hook into Vineyard Haven or Edgartown for lunch if you want.
Look forward to meeting you.

Big Joe

1st Mate
Boat Make
22' Sisu
Thanks for the replies. It’s great to get the local knowledge when, in unfamiliar waters. I’m hoping with all the shoals, we will be able to find a good fluking spot. Going to go thru via Vineyard Sound. Like what is suggested. Jeff, my friend and I will be out there on Thursday. Looking forward to meeting you too. Happy 4th

Top Bottom