Boat Builder info ?

Whiteowl

Ensign
I am a little confused as to the builders of some of the boats. I'm going to look at a JC31 this week. Owner says that while some of the JC's were hard chine this one is a soft chine. If that is so I'm surprised that all JC31's are not the same. A little research shows that quite a few builders are credited with building them. Does this mean that the hull was purchased from JC and they all came from the same mold and the "builder" just finished it out or did several people actually have molds for the hull. I'm used to all boats credited to a builder to be built by that builder. A Parker is built by Parker, an Alex Willis is built by him, and so forth. Also, I looked at a 26 center console that was supposed to be a JC26. Afterwords, I was told that boat was built on the Chesapeake Bay. So, maybe it isn't the JC that I thought it was. Any advice that will help me understand what I'm looking at and what I should be wary of?

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
I believe Judge Yachts is the Chesapeake that bought the jc26 mold.
As far as I know, the jc 31 is and always has been the same hard chine design.
The old nauset 30 looks kinda like a jc at the bow. It even had the same swirl when the chine finishes up at the stem. It's soft chine.
Don't know if they used the mold and made some changes. I'm sure ther are plenty of guys here who can clear all this up.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
Boat builder can mean anything. Boat builder should be the original builder of the hull. The finisher is a place who takes that hull and completes it. I looked at a boat this weekend where the owner was calling the person who put it together was a finisher. It looked like it should be called...it was put together by ... so it doesn't give the name finisher a bad name.

Whiteowl

Ensign
has anyone ever heard of a soft and a hard chine on a JC31. It seems like a hard chine would run flatter and be a little more efficient. Is this right?

DBM

Commander
Lite User
Top Bottom