Boat Lettering

Strictly Commercial

Lieutenant
Boat Make
34' south shore
I was thinking about putting a graphic on the bow of my boat, anyone know of a good website that has decals/graphics designed for a boat's bow? Probably no family letter one initial, just an anchor or ships wheel etc.

VPC

Lieutenant Commander
Boat U S skip pretty reasonable on line design

ChipTam

Lieutenant
Boat Make
locally-made 22' wooden boat with inboard engine
You might also want to call around to local sign shops. I had a decal done for my boat at one of these shops. Even small sign shops use computer graphics with good results.
ChipTam

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
We have been using doityourselflettering for three boats.He offers a DIY installation guarantee.I screwed up on one of the flared bows,and got it crooked and he sent another one at no charge.His prices are better than anyone local.We had a few big compass roses' made up also.If you search doityourselflettering it should come up.Usually get it in the mail in a couple days.

Last edited:

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
Just got my diylettering letters in the mail. Any advice on the best approach to applying? Put the entire strip on, then peel away what's not needed; or peel each letter and apply one by ine?

VPC

Lieutenant Commander
app

Get yourself a spray bottle and mix a very light soapy water solution, usually they send a plastic applicator similar to a sheet rock plaster blade with the decals if not any automotive or hardware store sells what you need.
Clean the surface area very well
measure the area and layout of the decal and pattern, mark or line with pencil
all of the decals and letters i have used are applied as follows:
wet or mist the area that is going to receive the decal
layout the pattern and either tape it in place around the edges or have someone work with you holding it
I work from either top corner down as I peel away the backing I have the blade/squeege tool and damp sponge and mist bottle nearby
As you peel the backing the blade is directly were you are peeling very similar to putting up wallpaper to give you a comparison
Use pressure with the tool leaving it for the most part on a 45 degree angle
Keep feathering as you peel the backing being careful and aware of delicate letters like an E that has a lot of small pointed areasYou'll probably see some air bubbles while still moist take them out with the blade now with big patters you might want to cut the backing as you progress with the application it will make it easier and lighter

ChipTam

Lieutenant
Boat Make
VCP has some very useful advice and I would agree with all of it. I would just second his suggestion that 1-2 helpers come in very handy. I had planned to put mine on by myself and am glad I decided at the last moment to ask for some help.
ChipTam

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
Once you have marked where you want it,I tape just the top edge of the decal.I usually cut two or three letters at a time so as not to have to much of the decal to apply at once,depending on the size of the letters.The tape on the top holds the decal in place so the letters don't come out crooked.Sometimes on the bow if there is a lot of flare you have to actually bend the name to make it look right.This is where cutting up between a couple letters to a time will also help.Once you have the decal cut into pieces fold the first piece up against the hull and peel off the paper starting at the part closest to the tape and hull.Now just roll the decal down against the hull and sqeegie out the air.The soapy water is like a lube that helps the air escape and it will evaporate later.The wax paper will peel of now,but be care full to watch that the letter doesn't come with it.Start slow and be patient

Last edited:

VPC

Lieutenant Commander
info

Just as a side note on my transom app, after the lettering is done I'm doing a top coat of clear coat.This will accomplish two things easy cleanup and the letters will be sealed so to speak. After I do it I'll post a pic. good luck with your project any questions feel free to call Vin 516 728 6952

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
Not perfect

but good enough. Thanks for the tip - 150$ and 2 hours of labor for the transom and the name on the bow...The only tricky part was trying to figure out the best way to align a straight name with the many curves on the transom...

name.jpg

bowname.jpg

ChipTam

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Nice job, Backman. It looks very professional. I spent many pleasant summer hours in Falmouth from about 1953 to 1985....usually shopping trips from Poponnessett Beach. I probably wouldn't recognize that area anymore but I suspect Falmouth looks about the same. I also spent the first six months of my life in Falmouth in 1946 as we waited for my dad to get discharged from Camp Edwards (later Otis Air Base). ChipTam

VPC

Lieutenant Commander
?

could you tell me the font /style and size of those letters ty

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
Marlboro font, 12" name with 1.5 normal spacing

The hailing port is 4" high, same font and spacing.

I am now a huge fan of this site....

Top Bottom