boat question

manni-yunk

Commander
Ive been interested in a true downeast boat for a while and the layout offered is ideal for my use. Mostly diving in the NE and some offshore fishing (70/30).

Any feedback on the following boat?

View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com

Besides the fact that the broker is not answering questions about the boat, does anyone know anything about it?

Is the 17.5Kn cruise realistic on this boat?

Anyone been on this type of hull before? My understanding is that Cape Dory used the old Bruno Hull. How would she lay up on anchor? I would like to assume that with that deep keel, she should sit pretty nice in average conditions.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
You should probably list the make/model and engine in the boat so people dont have to follow the link. Nice boat though. Sleek but still DE.

Round chine or hard?

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
One of the guys at the dock im on has one. He recently bought it and all the gear and license from another guy at the dock. From what the other fishermen who have been around her have told me, she is a terrible sea boat, Very bad roll. very narrow for the length. I havnt been on her at sea though, only stood on her at the dock.
Also the guy has a 671 natural in her and he does 7-8 kts at half throttle and she doesnt go much faster. semi displacement hull I think.

offshore31

Captain
Looks like the old bruno 42 hull, which if i remember correctly is a soft chine hull. it has a 550hp detroit 8v92. i like the old detroits, but they are noisy and can sling oil. i'm not a fan of cored hulls, so i'd have the hull checked very thoroughly for moisture. a few years ago i was looking at some bruno's and spoke to some owners about them. they love the ride, but all the ones i looked at were much slower.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Vessel Name: CHRISTINE MARY USCG Doc. No.: 930251 Vessel Service: COMMERCIAL FISHING VESSEL IMO Number: * Trade Indicator: Coastwise Unrestricted, Fishery Call Sign: * Hull Material: FRP (FIBERGLASS) Hull Number: CPDN0012J687 Ship Builder: CAPE DORY YACHTS, INC. Year Built: 1988

Length (ft.): 42.3 Hailing Port: WEST ISLIP NY Hull Depth (ft.): 6.3 Owner: ATLANTIC COAST DOCK BUILDING CORP
72 TAHLULAH LANE
WEST ISLIP, NY 11795 Hull Breadth (ft.): 13.5 Gross Tonnage: 24 Net Tonnage: 19 Documentation Issuance Date: August 16, 2012 Documentation Expiration Date: September 30, 2013 Previous Vessel Names: No Vessel Name Changes Previous Vessel Owners: ATLANTIC COAST DOCK BUILDING CORP

manni-yunk

Commander
Looks like the old bruno 42 hull, which if i remember correctly is a soft chine hull. it has a 550hp detroit 8v92. i like the old detroits, but they are noisy and can sling oil. i'm not a fan of cored hulls, so i'd have the hull checked very thoroughly for moisture. a few years ago i was looking at some bruno's and spoke to some owners about them. they love the ride, but all the ones i looked at were much slower.

Why do you believe it is cored?

I believe it to be a solid glass hull

manni-yunk

Commander
One of the guys at the dock im on has one. He recently bought it and all the gear and license from another guy at the dock. From what the other fishermen who have been around her have told me, she is a terrible sea boat, Very bad roll. very narrow for the length. I havnt been on her at sea though, only stood on her at the dock.
Also the guy has a 671 natural in her and he does 7-8 kts at half throttle and she doesnt go much faster. semi displacement hull I think.

Seems very different than that which is advertised. I think she is 13'7" and 42 LOA - which seems about right....almost exactly 3-1.

It is soft chined, so from what I read that will roll more with less initial stability - but offer more overall stability - correct?

Coming from a 33 bertram for the last 9 years, Im guessing the roll will feel like nothing.....lol......My boat will literally throw a cooler across the deck in rough seas and a beam sea.

Last edited:

manni-yunk

Commander
Any other comments on this boat or the engine series? Are the cruise estimates legit (17.5 kn at 13 gph)?

I am going to look at her, but the broker claims that the owner turned down close to full price offers - I dont believe it. I dont think I would go a penny higher than 75, with 65 being more realistic for her.

Any comments on how a soft chine downeast like this one would lay up on the anchor?

offshore31

Captain
Manni, re-cored hull: Sorry, I thought I saw synthetic cored hull on the listing sheet. When I went back and checked, it says "Hugh Cockpit with synthetic core decks". I must've seen that on another listing.

Re: soft chine on the hook. I went from a blackfin 32 to a bhm31 which has a soft chine. The bhm is soooo much nicer on the drift and hook than my old blackfin. There are certain speeds when in a beam see that i get tossed a little, but nothing at all llike the deep-v's.

manni-yunk

Commander
Manni, re-cored hull: Sorry, I thought I saw synthetic cored hull on the listing sheet. When I went back and checked, it says "Hugh Cockpit with synthetic core decks". I must've seen that on another listing.

Re: soft chine on the hook. I went from a blackfin 32 to a bhm31 which has a soft chine. The bhm is soooo much nicer on the drift and hook than my old blackfin. There are certain speeds when in a beam see that i get tossed a little, but nothing at all llike the deep-v's.

blackfin and bertram are almost identical in terms of how far back that deep V is carried - so your transition is similar to mine.

I love the Bertram when it gets sloppy and Im running- but drifting or anchored......as I get older, the roll seems worse.

offshore31

Captain
I ran my bfin for 10 years, and couldn't take it anymore. the DE's are slower, but the funny thing is you don't really notice it when you're running. and i love the fuel burn, nice on the wallet. interesting thing about these boats. if i slowed the bfin down to say 10 kts, it still rode nice but the ride was significantly different. the bhm runs the same almost no matter what speed i run it at.

never been on a 42 bruno, but i do like the looks. tested a couple of 35 brunos, and liked the ride. there is (or was?) a guy down in pt judith that runs a 42 bruno. he loves his, just its a ~13kt boat. swing through some marina's, find some 42s and talk to the owners. you'll get some great info, and its a great way to spend a day.

good luck in your search

manni-yunk

Commander
I ran my bfin for 10 years, and couldn't take it anymore. the DE's are slower, but the funny thing is you don't really notice it when you're running. and i love the fuel burn, nice on the wallet. interesting thing about these boats. if i slowed the bfin down to say 10 kts, it still rode nice but the ride was significantly different. the bhm runs the same almost no matter what speed i run it at.

never been on a 42 bruno, but i do like the looks. tested a couple of 35 brunos, and liked the ride. there is (or was?) a guy down in pt judith that runs a 42 bruno. he loves his, just its a ~13kt boat. swing through some marina's, find some 42s and talk to the owners. you'll get some great info, and its a great way to spend a day.

good luck in your search

10 years - same number. I will have owned my Bert for 10 years in Novemebr.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
A 42 Bruno will scoot w/ 550 hp.

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
V hulls have an uncomfortable buck and pitch on the ocean.
Soft chine old school lobster boats roll like a mother, but it is a slower but deeper motion.
Go out on one if you can...see if you like it
There are a lot of Bruno's fishing and cruising, so they must be doing something right.

Last edited:

manni-yunk

Commander
The boat Im looking at isnt a bruno, technically its a cape dory - but apparently they used th Bruno 42 mold.

j dandy

Lieutenant
its a hell of a sea boat , and relistic i think she will do 17 kns just fine.
ther is no comparson to a blackfin.
change the name to what ever you want, but she is still a bruno hull and made by nauset marine no core. great boat!
good luck with the price.

manni-yunk

Commander
Someone told me today that with this engine, and enginel location - that I would not be able to hear myself think in the cabin - is this true? I was assuming that with proper insulation (sound down) and maybe carpeting in the wheelhouse, It would not be overwhelmingly loud?

offshore31

Captain
Manni, all diesels are louder than gas, especially when the turbo kicks in. Some of the newer diesels are very quiet, but the older ones (and this DD is one of those) are loud. I've got a 31 bhm with a mechanical volvo in it. it is loud, but soundown in the engine room, coupled with sound down under-carpet material on the floor, and its much better.

The bruno/nauset might be better than my bhm because its a larger boat and i would assume the engine is not directly under the helm. last I took a ride on a 43 lowell (karen lynn), and that boat was unbelievable quiet. it was a newer engine (scania?) which helped. but he had the carpet underlayment which helped, and where i got the idea for mine.

take it for a ride, and let us know what you think.

good luck

manni-yunk

Commander
Manni, all diesels are louder than gas, especially when the turbo kicks in. Some of the newer diesels are very quiet, but the older ones (and this DD is one of those) are loud. I've got a 31 bhm with a mechanical volvo in it. it is loud, but soundown in the engine room, coupled with sound down under-carpet material on the floor, and its much better.

The bruno/nauset might be better than my bhm because its a larger boat and i would assume the engine is not directly under the helm. last I took a ride on a 43 lowell (karen lynn), and that boat was unbelievable quiet. it was a newer engine (scania?) which helped. but he had the carpet underlayment which helped, and where i got the idea for mine.

take it for a ride, and let us know what you think.

good luck

Im aware that older diesels are loud. I currently own twin CAT 3208s. But - Im running her from the flybridge. If I were sitting on one of my engine boxes - it would be deafening.

Ill have to take this DE for a run and see. I would be willing to go overkill with the sounddown!

I want to be able to hold a conversation with my kids.....while running the boat!

Top Bottom