Boat search help.

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat NEWBIES' started by Reynard38, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Reynard38

Reynard38 Member

Captain, at a Major US airline
    Boat Make:
    Harry Bryan Rambler 23, Fenwick Williams 16’ Catboat.
    I’m pretty new here so I thought this would be the place to ask. I’m actively searching fo the next boat (I know, we always are). I really like the Dyer 29 as does my wife, but I’m not yet certain it’ll even fit on our lift. Honestly its a bit more boat than we need, but we sure do like it.
    We don’t need or want a cabin and we both love the bassboat look (New England bassboat, not the 90mph metalflake variety we see on lakes down here).
    I prefer either a straight inboard or an outboard. No I/O. Diesel would be a plus if IB. A glass hull as Ive got a classic wooden catboat to maintain and that’s enough!
    We want to be able to cruise efficiently at @ 17 knots minimum. The waters where we live can get rough. 2-3’ chop is pretty common on Port Royal Sound with an 8’ tide opposing the predominant SSW winds.
    The boat will be used for going to various places to eat, sunset cruises and a bit of fishing. Mostly just my wife and myself, but we’d like the ability to take along another couple or 2 comfortably.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

2. Vlad

Vlad Member

There's Wasque 26 on the Yachtworld. I've looked at this boat but found a little small for my need. Completely restored & has brand new Nanni diesel with only 40 hours. Good luck

Vlad,
  3. seadog99

seadog99 New Member

4. Ben Zehnder

Ben Zehnder Member

Attorney
    Boat Make:
    Flowers 25
    +1 on the Pulsifer if you are ok with a 22’ open boat. It has the softest ride I’ve ever felt and the Yanmar sips diesel. Also very very pretty. Choices choices...

5. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    The Pulsifer is nice but it's wood and the OP prefers fiberglass. If the Dyer is a bit too much boat for you, take a look at a 26 Sisu or even a 22 Sisu in bass boat trim. My personal favorite bass boat is the 26 Fortier which you may also want to look at. If available cabin space is not a concern but a nice stable ride is, you might consider a 24 Trip Angler (formerly the Coastal / Nauset hard chined hull). Trip also makes a nice 22 Angler bass boat with round chines. Happy hunting!

Eastporter and Reynard38 like this.
  6. Reynard38

Reynard38 Member

Boat Make:
    Thanks y’all. The Pulsifer is a beautiful boat, but a bit too bare bones for what we want, and a bit too slow as well.
    The Sisu’s are certainly of interest, as is the fortier.
    The Tripp angler appeals to me, but I’d like to see the interior of one done with some nice helm seats. At least in the 22 there doesn’t appear to be much room next to the engine box.

I just sold my beloved BMW M roadster to add to the boat account. Can’t really drive it properly here and I decided a boat would be more useful and fun.

Was out on Port Royal in a 25’ Whaler yesterday. Typical conditions here on an outgoing tide. 15 knots from the SSW, 2-3’ chop with an occasions 4 footer thrown in for fun. Had to slow to 17 knots.

definitely need something that’ll handle rough water.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  7. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    The 24 Tripp/Coastal/Nauset has a walk around engine box and has a wider beam than the 22. I still miss the one I had. It was quite seaworthy and stable.

8. seadog99

seadog99 New Member

9. Reynard38

Reynard38 Member

Boat Make:
    They are. I saw one at the Maine Boatbuilders show this past March.
    Smaller boat than I’m looking for though and also I want more weather protection with a windshield. We boat year round hear, and it can get a bit chilly in the winter.

10. seadog99

seadog99 New Member

I hear ya, I'm in MountPleasant....Crowley-Beal 23?

11. Dr Dude

Dr Dude Captain

Retired
    Boat Make:
    Fortier 33 , McKeeCraft 28
    I had a 26 Fortier for 32 yrs...had it thru hell and back in all sorts of seas and never regretted one second of owning that boat.
    Best boat EVER on a beam drift, not a speed boat but an honest 18- 20 kts ( mine topped at 29.5 mph w/ 230 Yanmar).
    Beautiful and rugged at the same time....just my nosey 2 cents.
    Good luck w/ your decision.

12. Reynard38

Reynard38 Member

Boat Make:
    That’d work. Just read an article in soundings about the boat. 4GPH at 20 knots with a Yami 115 sounds about perfect.

13. Reynard38

Reynard38 Member

Boat Make:
    Thanks. Did they ever build a Bass Boat (softtop) version of the F26? It looks to be one of the more nicely finished of the small DE boats. It’s certainly a contender

Dr Dude likes this.
  14. Eastporter

Eastporter Captain

Boat Make:
    Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
    Sisu 22 ft..

Diesel, full keel- best of both worlds and a bass configuration for ya!

15. Dr Dude

Dr Dude Captain

Retired
    Boat Make:
    yes

16. Kailua Kid

Kailua Kid Senior Member

Maritime Lawyer; Fisherman; USCG Master 50 Ton
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    General Marine 26; Klamath 19; Sparkman & Stephens Yankee 38 sloop
    You might consider a General Marine 26: Straight-six diesel low in the bilge, straight shaft, full keel, keel-stepped rudder, very robust and able to handle the chop (and more). Available used or new at reasonable prices, and very well supported by the builder (in Maine). Plenty of boat for two to four on the type of outing you describe.

The diesel inboard gets my vote over an outboard, including because of weight distribution; safety of diesel fuel over gasoline; avoidance of an outboard leg hanging down abaft and below the transom; etc. (I recently purchased a GM 26 after hitting a log at night coming down off a large wave in the dark. After the boat bounced twice as the hull passed over the log, the outboard leg hung up on the log, stopping the boat, bending the prop, and allowing the next wave to crash over the transom and put 50 gallons or so of 48 degree salt water into the boat. I was in the middle of a shipping lane two miles from shore and in 640’ of water, now soaked to the waist. During the hour and forty minutes it took me to limp into my harbor, with the bilge pump working hard and the boat laboring under the weight of the water on board to push the boat through 4’ seas with the mangled prop, I had an opportunity to consider the merits of an inboard, straight shaft, with full keel to protect the screw (prop) and rudder.) Just my unsolicited two-bits.

17. Dr Dude

Dr Dude Captain

Retired
    Boat Make:
    Beautiful Fortier 26 just listed on this site ....Check it out ....;)

18. Ryan Getta

Ryan Getta Member

i would strongly suggest getting on to a fortier 26 to get a closer look and a better feel. Im friends with the owners daughter, amazing boats, amazing people you wont be disappointed.