Boat shed done

leaky

Admiral
I'd try the propane, see how it works. I've never noticed an issue as far as condensation coming off the tent onto the work. At times it's just humid, ground is wet, that stuff can drip though - yes, heaters can make it worse, not just from the heaters though.

Where I run propane it's a small tent and I'm usually laying up say panels where you have to vent a lot (I literally have a fan bringing air in when working), otherwise you'd die. That probably helps vent off humidity too.

The direct kerosene heaters are easier as far as getting the BTU's but they aren't as clean. It's not so much fumes if they are running right as much as upon startup, they can spit a bit, slight puff of coal, etc.. So on ground level w/ the hull above, if all your work is inside the boat, they can be a good choice - potentially would be a bad choice if you were working outside the hull, or at least I wouldn't want where I was working anywhere near the direct path of the output, materials in that path, etc.. etc.. as it could get contaminated.

leaky

Admiral
I do have one of these to try also if the propane is an issue. Still has the combustion in the workspace so might be a moisture issue. We’ll see.

View attachment 146089

Those are good for a corner on say the other side of the tent, supplemental heat if you only had one forced air sorta heater. But it won't help at all on its own come 40 degree weather or colder.

Btu wise for that size area two of these might be enough (this is that standard size around 80k) if it's a pretty tight seal, insulated as suggested. You want to run them on 2 tanks at a time or a bigger tank, otherwise you notice a difference in output after a couple hours.

16681307709107672518649346520564.jpg

LuSea

1st Mate
Lite User
First Name
Tom
Boat Make
Nauset 35
Last edited:

JWS

1st Mate
How many years can one expect a structure like this to last?

Capt-Pete

Deckhand
First Name
Peter
Boat Make
1985 BHM - Volvo TAMD 61a engine
Anyone out there used a Shelter Logic brand shed for their boat? If so - you got any pics?? I've built a few bow roof sheds for boats and greenhouses but I'm looking for something a little more permanent.

Cool Boat

Captain
Anyone out there used a Shelter Logic brand shed for their boat? If so - you got any pics?? I've built a few bow roof sheds for boats and greenhouses but I'm looking for something a little more permanent.
My shelter logic that housed the F250 supercab diesel is on its third skin in close to 20 years. The frame is still in good shape although being in direct contact with the forest floor. Would probably only be on its second skin if a tree limb hadn't punctured/shredded the first one. The forest kept direct sun off of it so my experience may be better than average.

leaky

Admiral

I've got one that's about 20 years old. A peaked style 16Hx14Wx42L I want to say.

Tubes are nice and heavy duty.

The 1st time we put it up, hastily in our 20's, let's say it wasn't so straight and level :).. It lasted, no roof raking, no maintenance, for a good 12+ years that way. Feet of snow on the roof at times. Had developed a funny lean one way, almost a twist in it like we built it on a fault line, over time.

One day, with a bunch of snow on the roof, high winds, a blizzard that night, I can by to plow and it had fallen over. Big mess. I put it back up the 2nd time, leveled, w/ railroad ties as a foundation. In doing so I made it about 3 feet wider by adding extensions to the roof area. Only parts it needed were the bent tubes at the bottom of the peak, rest of the poles held up, it was that particular part that failed - shelter logic sold me replacements at very reasonable prices (mind you it was many years later too). Now days I rake the roof when it snows but probably doesn't need it since it's put up right.

Here's the killer though - that tent was like $1500 shipped originally. Now days I'm not sure but they might be 3X that $$, maybe report back what you find but I've heard that. If I owned the property where the tent was going and I planned on staying there, I'd be more apt to consider a permanent steel building if the cost of the tent is $5K. Yes the steel building isn't going to be cheap, will be a lot more $$, but can be made into a proper shop, insulated and rigged for whatever, climate controlled, where a tent just can't. A steel building potentially can even be financed. JMO.

Old pic, 300-ish lb fish in our 20's hanging from the center of the tent. Picked up 450 lb outboards this same way as well. They are well built.

tunaTent.jpg

leaky

Admiral
2nd pic here - the tent after I put it up the 2nd time. Added barn doors, made the back a wood frame w/ shelves, worked sweet but some of the sheeting is ratty now.

tentback.jpg

tentfront.jpg

Capt-Pete

Deckhand
First Name
Peter
Boat Make
1985 BHM - Volvo TAMD 61a engine
Awesome info thanks! Nice fish btw.
I’m looking at a 18 x40 peaked shelter logic shed and the price - online was around 9K - yikes! I might just build another bow roof shed and call it good

So there was some discussion about heating a shed - anyone thought about using a heat pump? You can get great deals on them these days with rebates etc.

Sleepwalker

1st Mate
I’m looking at a 18 x40 peaked shelter logic shed and the price - online was around 9K - yikes! I might just build another bow roof shed and call it good

So there was some discussion about heating a shed - anyone thought about using a heat pump? You can get great deals on them these days with rebates etc.
I think you'd have to live in your shed to get the rebate.

leaky

Admiral

The trouble with heating a tent is no insulation. So basically, you are looking at say 1.5 GPH of kero to keep such an area warm - that's in a best case scenario with direct heat (which is "dirty" but more efficient than indirect heating).

As a comparison, a home furnace might be 100k btu and cycles on/off, that tent I got wants about 200k btu and needs to run basically the entire time.

So that's why in a tent you usually blast direct heat, in a more sealed and insulated structure other options become practical.

Top Bottom