Boat Transport Companies

n4061

Lieutenant
I'm looking for a boat transport company with an excellent reputation that can deliver a boat (under 30') from the NE to Southern California. Appreciate and information. thank you

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Call Journeys End Marina in Rockland, Maine they run trucks to Seattle all the time, 1st class outfit with 1st class rigging. 207 594-4444 ask for Ken Follett tell him Steve from Alaska told ya to call.

Last edited:

jsakovits

Captain
Boat Make
36' Calvin Beal
Ditto on Journey's End Boat yard. They moved my boat from South Carolina to the Cape. Took care of the boat and kept me informed along the trip. Very very good transport company !

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
List it on U-ship.com. Basically what the site is is all sorts of shippers bid on loads that people list. Your auction can last up to seven days I think. At the end you pick your hauler based on there ratings, reputation, price or all of the above. Once you accept there bid it is a legally binding contract. It usually works well for the guy who needs something shipped because 90% of the time the hauler will get a haul back load lined up so he is getting paid both ways, that way he can give you a fair price. Where as if he was coming back with an empty truck, he would have to factor that fuel and milage into the price. Good luck to you.

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
Has anyone contacted the railroad company's re long haul west coast or to gulf area? I know that the trains are full coming from the west coast, empty going back from east to west. bet someone could get a good deal on transporting. no oversize load fees. no renting a state trouper. they don't have to deal with interstates....they own their own roads. just thinking out loud.
CSX runs north south. BNSF runs east west (owned by warren buffett):eek:

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Has anyone contacted the railroad company's re long haul west coast or to gulf area? I know that the trains are full coming from the west coast, empty going back from east to west. bet someone could get a good deal on transporting. no oversize load fees. no renting a state trouper. they don't have to deal with interstates....they own their own roads. just thinking out loud.
CSX runs north south. BNSF runs east west (owned by warren buffett):eek:

I tried contacting the railroads with my move, no answers at all, if boat is wider than a train car its a no go.

8943post

Commander
Boat Make
33 Duffy
I'd be very careful using some guy on uship! Why not go with an experienced boat hauler...you won't find them bidding for work on uship.

When you decide on who you'll use go to safersys.org for a background check. Good luck.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
I have had two boats shipped out from the west coast thru uship and both transactions went great. Make sure you research the guy doing the shipping though. I had two companies that did not google well so I passed on there bids. My brother is having a whaler shipped out to Oregon from ny that I picked up for him next week, I will post on here after that is done. Evidently whalers are a tough find on the west coast?

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I used ushit to find a transporter to haul my boat from Rockport to Seattle. Transporter was great, on time, took care of the boat and emailed or called daily to let me know where he was. Ushit screwed him by calculating the wrong mileage for the quote, they used as the crow flies instead of land/road miles so the milage was off by 400 miles so me and the transporter worked it out and when i called ushit numerous times to get a explanation i never even got a reply. Beware of ushit or you may be shit out of luck.

mattinri

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Nordhavn 46
I had my boat (35'Duffy) shipped up from Florida by Skipper's Shipper. They actually own a DE boat & were great. Your best bet is to contact a few reputable shippers and be as flexible as possible in dates. If they can arrange a return shipment they can do yours for substantially less.

n4061

Lieutenant
All, thank you for your responses. I attempted to edit my original post with this information but it doesn't appear to have posted so I'll try again.

I recognize that even the better transport companies can have a bad day and things can go wrong but forums like this still provide an excellent source of information and a great place to start. On a related subjct just this week on the Nordhavn forum there was an intersting post regarding an owner who had to pay the state of FL. $10K to get his boat out of impound due to the transport company failure to pay the required duty fees. Within an hour of his post there were two other owners who had similiar situations with the same company. These forums can be a powerful tool. Thanks again to all who have responded.

Regarding the one post which asked if we found our Downeaster. After speaking with a few builders we ran into an family health issue which has placed our long range plans building another boat on hold. We are also not sure if the larger boat will be a Downeast style or another trawler. Until things settle down at home I decided to look for a smaller, clean, newer used boat that we can use in San Diego and get a feel for Downeast boats in general. I'm flying to Main next month (after the snow stops) to look at a couple of boats. Since I have never been aboard a downest hull of any kind this trip may be a total bust. I will make a post once I return and advise how the adventure went. Thanks again to all who have assisted us.

Members online

Latest Posts

Top Bottom