Boats n Trailers (Good, Bad and VERY UGLY)

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36 Hatteras/13 Whaler/24 Sailfish
These kids came down to my club last week to pick up a 25 Catalina they'd bought for chump change. Showed up at dusk (of course!) with basically what was a 17' sailboat. Headed to Fitchburg. From Milton. After dusk. With a severely overloaded trailer (which was flat when they arrived)

I hate myself for not taking any pictures since I'm certain y'all gonna call BS me...but where the bunks for the boat ended...the stern of the boat continued like ANOTHER SEVEN FEET. As you can imagine, the ass end of the towing vehicle was sky high since the trailer was completely loaded wrong. Tried throwing concrete blocks in there. Nothing would get towing vehicle to come back to Earth.

Another guy at my club was listening to traffic reports later that night...and you guessed it. The sailboat FELL OFF THE TRAILER on 128 in Needham. Shut down all but one lane.

Anybody on here with the MSP or have acess to get some pictures.....put a posting on Craigslist but so far nothing from anybody confirming they either saw or it took a picture.

Anybody got anything comparable to this shit show ?

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
We tend to focus on the floating shit show and forget just how much road kill there is out there. I have tons of boat ramp stories, but nothing involving actual road kill. My last experience at a boat ramp should have been video taped as well. Can't make that stuff up, but still very hard to believe.

Tumblehome

Lieutenant Commander
This post led me to google "boat trailer mishaps". Plenty of clusters out there to look at, such as this one:
boatingAccident.jpg

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Give us a story keelboater!

Bosman are you really sure you want me to tell you "a story"?.......Well...........alright..........if you insist.........but remember you asked for it................and it has to be the PG version.............. Once upon a time way back in July of 2013, not so far away at the big lake in Newtown CT, there was a boat ramp. It was a remote little ramp, but everyone still came from miles around to visit it. Then one day Keelboater and his wifey decided to take their 13' Whaler off the salt for a change of scenery and visit it for themselves. "It's a cute little boat ramp" said wifey. "Nothing special here" said Keelboater, "Let's hit the lake". So they launced their little boat and had a fantastic day on the water. Upon returning to the little two lane ramp, Keelboater noticed that it was quite crowded as they approached it. "Oh shit" said Keelboater, "three boats are here already, so now we have to wait". So he motored by the 3 boats that were already there, and pulled the Whaler up onto the tiny beach next to the ramp. Keelboaters wifey stayed with the boat while he went to get the truck and trailer. As he walked past the first boat, Keelboater said "Hey, this boat is full of water!.... WTF is going on here?" The owner of the boat replied "I was trying to help the assholes with the pontoon boat over there and forgot to put the plug in! I was lucky to pull it close enough to the beach just in time to keep the power head from going under." Keelboater looked over to the first lane of the tiny ramp where a small Toyota truck was attempting to pull a 24 ft pontoon boat, loaded with five people and a BIG cooler full of beer up the ramp. Smoke POURED off the single tire that was frantically spinning to gain traction as the tiny 4 banger approached redline, but it just couldn't grip the steep little ramp and the truck went no where. Keelboater told the rednecks in the boat to get the fuc# off in order to lighten the load, but their reply was to simply crack open a few more beers and enjoy the ride. As it turns out, they tried to launch their brandy new pontoon boat for the very first time, only to discover that the water at the little ramp was much too shallow for their big pontoon boat and trailer combo. Then they discovered that the little ramp was actually too steep for the Toyota powerhouse on the way back up. "Oh well" said Keelboater....."You guys are screwed" and once again proceeded on his way to get his truck and trailer from the parking area. Upon returning with truck and trailer, Keelboater noticed that the Ford Explorer and empty boat trailer that occupied the second lane had not even moved yet. It was just sitting there, .....trailer in the water......and ..... "WTF now?" said Keelboater as he looked over his shoulder to back up his truck. Then there was a knock on his window. Keelboater looked over to see a little man wearing a golf hat standing there. He put his window down only to hear "I'm sorry for holding things up at the ramp,but I had my A/C running because it was really hot today, so my windows were up and I locked my keys in the truck by accident when I got out to load my boat". "Smooth move" said Keelboater. "Judging by the bubbles coming from your tailpipe, I have to assume that you left your motor running too?" "Yes I did" said the man. "I had to call my neighbor who lives 25 miles away to come get me, so he can bring me back home to get my spare key, and then drive me back here." Keelboater just looked at the little man and said "are you fuc#ing kidding me? The pontoon boat is stuck on one half of the ramp and you're stuck on the other half? Is this really happening? Just break a window!" Keelboater realized that his only chance to haul his boat out and get the hell out of there was to get the pontoon boat up the ramp, even if he had to drag it up the ramp with his own truck. What began as a nice remote little ramp had turned into a mother fuc#ing cluster fuc% of a ramp. Just then, the driver of the tiny Toyota made one last ditch effort to climb the shitty little back woods ramp. Foot to the floor, motor screaming, one tire smoking, rednecks chugging beer and cheering.......the truck ever so slowly inched it's way up the ramp. "DON'T LET UP!" yelled Keelboater. The smell of burning rubber filled the air as heavy white smoke completely clouded the entire area of the ramp. The squeeling continued until the truck and pontoon boat were completely engulfed in the cloud all together............as if they vanished, and then ...........BOOM! The sound of a gunshot pierced the smelly fog. "WTF!?!?" When the smoke cleared a bit, Keelboater could see the pontoon boat was at the top of the ramp. The truck was leaning to one side, a big piece of rubber laying next to the back rim, and the drunk rednecks in the pontoon boat were loving every second of it. Keelboater couldn't keep a straight face either, and was laughing his friggin' ass off! Where is the fuc$in' video camera when you need it? He backed down the newly cleared ramp, loaded the whaler, and headed for home with his wifey..........leaving one tailpipe still bubbling away in the water, one truck with no rear tire, and one completely swamped boat in the rear view mirror. "Nobody will ever believe us" Keelboater said to his wifey. "Believe what" his wifey replied. "Exactly" said Keelboater. "It must be the water". And they all lived happily ever after. THE END. You know what a grand slam means in fishing. Now you know what it means at the boat ramp! You just can't make this stuff up. It really happens.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
I saw a guy make a hard L at about 40mph after we got off the ferry in LI and his pea green, 1973ish tri hull decided not to make the turn and dove off his roller trailer (since it wasnt tied on... at 40.... on a 2 lane road with 55 mph speed limit that we drove on for about 5 miles....) and slid about 40 feet on the concrete shoulder and which then became a concrete drainage culvert and then a small forest of 4-6" pine trees. I didnt stop but there were trees down and the engine had broken about 16" x 4' piece of the transom off and was laying in the cockpit prop almost straight up in the air with the transom clamped in its bracket.

If I was the guy I would have kept going but the engine was newer so he probably wanted that at least. Appropriate fate for any tri-hull of any color IMO.

RyanCT

Lieutenant Commander
Bosman are you really sure you want me to tell you "a story"?.......Well...........alright..........if you insist.........but remember you asked for it................and it has to be the PG version.............. Once upon a time way back in July of 2013, not so far away at the big lake in Newtown CT, there was a boat ramp. It was a remote little ramp, but everyone still came from miles around to visit it. Then one day Keelboater and his wifey decided to take their 13' Whaler off the salt for a change of scenery and visit it for themselves. "It's a cute little boat ramp" said wifey. "Nothing special here" said Keelboater, "Let's hit the lake". So they launced their little boat and had a fantastic day on the water. Upon returning to the little two lane ramp, Keelboater noticed that it was quite crowded as they approached it. "Oh shit" said Keelboater, "three boats are here already, so now we have to wait". So he motored by the 3 boats that were already there, and pulled the Whaler up onto the tiny beach next to the ramp. Keelboaters wifey stayed with the boat while he went to get the truck and trailer. As he walked past the first boat, Keelboater said "Hey, this boat is full of water!.... WTF is going on here?" The owner of the boat replied "I was trying to help the assholes with the pontoon boat over there and forgot to put the plug in! I was lucky to pull it close enough to the beach just in time to keep the power head from going under." Keelboater looked over to the first lane of the tiny ramp where a small Toyota truck was attempting to pull a 24 ft pontoon boat, loaded with five people and a BIG cooler full of beer up the ramp. Smoke POURED off the single tire that was frantically spinning to gain traction as the tiny 4 banger approached redline, but it just couldn't grip the steep little ramp and the truck went no where. Keelboater told the rednecks in the boat to get the fuc# off in order to lighten the load, but their reply was to simply crack open a few more beers and enjoy the ride. As it turns out, they tried to launch their brandy new pontoon boat for the very first time, only to discover that the water at the little ramp was much too shallow for their big pontoon boat and trailer combo. Then they discovered that the little ramp was actually too steep for the Toyota powerhouse on the way back up. "Oh well" said Keelboater....."You guys are screwed" and once again proceeded on his way to get his truck and trailer from the parking area. Upon returning with truck and trailer, Keelboater noticed that the Ford Explorer and empty boat trailer that occupied the second lane had not even moved yet. It was just sitting there, .....trailer in the water......and ..... "WTF now?" said Keelboater as he looked over his shoulder to back up his truck. Then there was a knock on his window. Keelboater looked over to see a little man wearing a golf hat standing there. He put his window down only to hear "I'm sorry for holding things up at the ramp,but I had my A/C running because it was really hot today, so my windows were up and I locked my keys in the truck by accident when I got out to load my boat". "Smooth move" said Keelboater. "Judging by the bubbles coming from your tailpipe, I have to assume that you left your motor running too?" "Yes I did" said the man. "I had to call my neighbor who lives 25 miles away to come get me, so he can bring me back home to get my spare key, and then drive me back here." Keelboater just looked at the little man and said "are you fuc#ing kidding me? The pontoon boat is stuck on one half of the ramp and you're stuck on the other half? Is this really happening? Just break a window!" Keelboater realized that his only chance to haul his boat out and get the hell out of there was to get the pontoon boat up the ramp, even if he had to drag it up the ramp with his own truck. What began as a nice remote little ramp had turned into a mother fuc#ing cluster fuc% of a ramp. Just then, the driver of the tiny Toyota made one last ditch effort to climb the shitty little back woods ramp. Foot to the floor, motor screaming, one tire smoking, rednecks chugging beer and cheering.......the truck ever so slowly inched it's way up the ramp. "DON'T LET UP!" yelled Keelboater. The smell of burning rubber filled the air as heavy white smoke completely clouded the entire area of the ramp. The squeeling continued until the truck and pontoon boat were completely engulfed in the cloud all together............as if they vanished, and then ...........BOOM! The sound of a gunshot pierced the smelly fog. "WTF!?!?" When the smoke cleared a bit, Keelboater could see the pontoon boat was at the top of the ramp. The truck was leaning to one side, a big piece of rubber laying next to the back rim, and the drunk rednecks in the pontoon boat were loving every second of it. Keelboater couldn't keep a straight face either, and was laughing his friggin' ass off! Where is the fuc$in' video camera when you need it? He backed down the newly cleared ramp, loaded the whaler, and headed for home with his wifey..........leaving one tailpipe still bubbling away in the water, one truck with no rear tire, and one completely swamped boat in the rear view mirror. "Nobody will ever believe us" Keelboater said to his wifey. "Believe what" his wifey replied. "Exactly" said Keelboater. "It must be the water". And they all lived happily ever after. THE END. You know what a grand slam means in fishing. Now you know what it means at the boat ramp! You just can't make this stuff up. It really happens.

That is the funniest thing I heard all day. Yep can't make that stuff up. Zoar or Lillanonaoh?

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Lillanonaoh. I used to go camping there years ago. This was my first trip back there in 30 years. What a welcome, eh?

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
These kids came down to my club last week to pick up a 25 Catalina they'd bought for chump change. Showed up at dusk (of course!) with basically what was a 17' sailboat. Headed to Fitchburg. From Milton. After dusk. With a severely overloaded trailer (which was flat when they arrived)

I hate myself for not taking any pictures since I'm certain y'all gonna call BS me...but where the bunks for the boat ended...the stern of the boat continued like ANOTHER SEVEN FEET. As you can imagine, the ass end of the towing vehicle was sky high since the trailer was completely loaded wrong. Tried throwing concrete blocks in there. Nothing would get towing vehicle to come back to Earth.

Another guy at my club was listening to traffic reports later that night...and you guessed it. The sailboat FELL OFF THE TRAILER on 128 in Needham. Shut down all but one lane.

Anybody on here with the MSP or have acess to get some pictures.....put a posting on Craigslist but so far nothing from anybody confirming they either saw or it took a picture.

Anybody got anything comparable to this shit show ?

natural selection

Bawugna

Lieutenant
You should see what goes on in Phily

If I started telling what I have seen through the years it could take days.

I am down here in Philadelphia and in the spring all the urbanite, river running booze/drug crazed locals feel that first ray of real sunshine and head to the Delaware to see if thier boats still work. It is so consistent, the rediculousness, that I used to spend my lunch hour at one of the state ramps. My boss asked me one day what I was doing. I told him about the things I would see and that he should join me. Well, one day he did. The show was so good that he started to bug me to go again and again.

Short list of things I have seen.....A wife pushed off a trailer in a boat that would not start, her husband screaming directions as she was caught by the several kt downstream current. A woman almost cut in half by a guy with a 30 foot Maxum who asked her to pull the boat back up while he "nudged" it with the throttle (she was in the wishbone portion of the trailer). A guy who dragged his outboard all the way up the ramp. Jet skis acting the fool in the are between the ramp jetties. Oh the Maxum guy revving his motor in the parking lot (as you do a jet ski) and when asked, he said I just got this 2 days ago. Watched an unsecured boat slide off a trailer onto the ramp. And once watched a guy launch a boat with no lines and no one it it and watched it head quickly upstream in the tide. Many more, many more.

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
"once watched a guy launch a boat with no lines and no one it it and watched it head quickly upstream in the tide."
.Downstream

ONCE !!!! I only did that ONCE !! :D

I had the same happen on a lake in maine in May. Bowline came undone as i was slow the boat down coming off the trailer. Jumping in a 48degree lake with full set of clothes was not something I have done again since then, nor do i plan on it.....:eek:

Chum Pot

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Parker
Boat ramps pure enjoyment. People would gather to watch me and my wife when we trailered thinking it would be a good show with the wife driving the truck. We had a 3 minute drill smooth as silk that let them down every time. The ramp would get crowed with some guys launching a 8 foot whaler or something and she would "help" clear the ramp by backing down with the truck and trailer faster than most drive forward. She always felt that the boat, once trailered, should also be "ripped" out of the water. "It helps it dry faster" she once shot at an on looker through a rolled down window.:?
I think a YouTube clip once had terms but could not find it.
Some thing like this:

Plow'n or Plant'n Peas : when taking boat out with OB down and dragging lower unit up the ramp.
Leap Frog: when goose'n the throttle a bit too much and putting the boat into back of car.
Bump and Run: bumping boat off trailer to set it free on it's own at launch.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Right on par with this level of entertainment is the sat lunch docking routine at the local waterfront restaurant. Piers are so close together that the fingers leave just about 25' between and every Long Island (sorry LI'ers) asshole with his wife and her teased up hair girlfriends (in high heels) is trying to dock his 33'
vinyl clad, fully enclosed in canvas covered in mildew, carpeted, searay in a cross wind so they can have lunch.

What ALWAYS happens is the guy yells at his wife, who is on the bow, about 5' above the water, no boat hook in her hand but she has the bow line (which is usually 3/8" or 1"- too small or too big) as the bow is poking into some boat or dock she cant reach and then he guns it in reverse. I mean full throttle for about 3 agonizingly long seconds followed by the same correction in forward gear. Then usually the unforgettable crunching sound of fiberglass and more high revving and yelling (dese, dems and doze type stuff).

Then lunch and some laughs. Later fiberglass/bow rail repairs and divorce. I have made it a Saturday destination a couple times. So much fun.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
Top Bottom