Boot Stripes....Gel Coat, Paint or Vinyl ??

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
What do you use ?

Preferences ?

Experiences ?

The waterline on my old 25 T Jason was a mish mash of original red bootstripe paint, blue bottom paint and black bottom paint along the waterline.

I Plan on moving the boot stripe up a bit from the original "factory" :)D) applied line which was red. I don't want to do anything "permanent" like Awlgrip etc. until after the 1st season in the water after the rehab/repower to see how the hull "settles in" .

The glass bead blasting took most all the paint off. I want some kind of contrast stripe of stripes for next season if the boat is ready.

I was thinking of applying a high quality 3M vinyl boot stripe. I can always remove it if I'm off a bit and then later have a permanent strip or stripes painted on.

Any comments, suggestions experiences ???

Thanks, Bill D

IMG_1520.jpg

IMG_1534.jpg

IMG_1525.jpg

IMG_1530.jpg

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
While I haven't used the vinyl tape as a boot stripe I have used it as an accent on the house stripe. It looks good that first year...

Gelcoat can be a pain to use if you've never done it before, generally a gelcoated boot stripe is put in the mold but one can do it externally. You just will have to either live with the orange peel or do something about it.

Paint is the normal method for boot stripes, Interlux makes some fine products for this in a wide array of colors.

No matter which method you use I highly recommend having a reveal strip as well as tapering your boot stripe. Doesn't have to be much of a taper, 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch makes a huge difference in the look of your vessel. Feel free to go more if you're daring. ;)

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
After correcting the water line on my Bertram, I used the vinyl striping as a temporary measure, figuring the same thing. You know how that goes. 10 years later it still looks good. The only thing I can say is that the 2" black stripe still looks new, while the contrasting 1/2" gold stripe turned into more of a copper color. But it has held up fine and has not peeled. Can't complain too much.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
While I haven't used the vinyl tape as a boot stripe I have used it as an accent on the house stripe. It looks good that first year...

Gelcoat can be a pain to use if you've never done it before, generally a gelcoated boot stripe is put in the mold but one can do it externally. You just will have to either live with the orange peel or do something about it.

Paint is the normal method for boot stripes, Interlux makes some fine products for this in a wide array of colors.

No matter which method you use I highly recommend having a reveal strip as well as tapering your boot stripe. Doesn't have to be much of a taper, 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch makes a huge difference in the look of your vessel. Feel free to go more if you're daring. ;)

After correcting the water line on my Bertram, I used the vinyl striping as a temporary measure, figuring the same thing. You know how that goes. 10 years later it still looks good. The only thing I can say is that the 2" black stripe still looks new, while the contrasting 1/2" gold stripe turned into more of a copper color. But it has held up fine and has not peeled. Can't complain too much.

Thanks,

I redid the boot stripe on my 28 Bertram years ago. Had the black stripe Imroned trimmed with gold vinyl top and bottom with a white betweem black bottom paint.

Travis, you are suggesting the tapering @ the bow correct ??

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Try Pettit "Vivid" bottom paint as a stripe which won't get fouled.

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
Boot Stripe

I would recommend putting an inch or two of antifoul paint and then your 2-3" boot stripe (above the water line). No maintenance this way. How many guys have scum on their water lines? A LOT! I put my stripe a full 2" about the true water line and it looks good. If you are adding additional weight to the boat due to rebuilding or new fuel tanks, ice, gear etc. it will affect your true water line. You can always float it to get an actual water line after you make all refits. I used Interlux Brightsides and highly recommend the paint.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Bill,I have used all three......vinyl is ok but will rip tear if it is rubbed on docks and finger slips...gelcoat won't stay as bright as paint over time she will dull out....Bright Side is my choice ...thin coats ...foam roller....it will give you the best finish...high gloss

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
And use some blue painters tape to mock up your new stripe. Once you get what you want you can use the outside edge of that tape to mark your new edges for the paint or vinyl tape.

Sailorgp

Commander
Boat Make
Sisu 26
I've use Rustoleum alkyd enamel for the past 20+ years on 3 different hulls. I apply two coats almost wet on wet with a small foam roller. Works very well.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
How about "One Shot" sign paint ?? Unlimited colors, lasts forever & as the name says one shot and your done. I'm thinking about a stripe on the edge of my visor & roof and if i do it thats what i'm going to use.
20131103_092225[1].jpg

20131103_092225[1].jpg

Last edited:

mattinri

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Nordhavn 46
Why bother with a boot stripe? My old boat brought the antifouling up to the level where the boot stripe would be. Touched up every spring and I thought it looked fine. Current boat has a white boot stripe (paint) that's a PIA to keep clean.

Bawugna

Lieutenant
I have used vinyl and got a tiny splash of gasoline on it and it was ruined when it cut or scuffed it was junk. I only did it once.:mad: I have always used Interlux boot top paint and it is pretty nice. I had issues with it on occasion but corrected that by scraping it all off and doing a primer coat Interlux Precoat I think and then painting with boot top paint. It worked great! :) This year I am going to redo the boot stripe, it is a bit beat up and getting faded in spots so I am going to do a light scuff and reapply just the boot top paint.

Keeper

Lieutenant
I have had good luck using vinyl boot tape from West, held up great. With Interlux or Rustoleum I had to redo the boot each year.
Truth be told I did expect the tape to come off by July but it held up great after 2 seasons. Would high recommend tape.

sandytows

Lieutenant
Why bother with a boot stripe? My old boat brought the antifouling up to the level where the boot stripe would be. Touched up every spring and I thought it looked fine. Current boat has a white boot stripe (paint) that's a PIA to keep clean.

Same Here.
I am not a fan of the boot stripe for looks or for maintenance

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
No boot stripes for me either. Better things to do. But if I did I would use Pettit Vivid bottom paint for it.

pyrofan

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
wilcox and midland
I've had very good luck with either 3m vinyl boot stripe or West Marine boot stripe tape. The 3m product seemed to last a little longer.

Also had very good performance with Interlux boot stripe paint. In my experience the paint will last longer, if your surface is prepped correctly.

If you are repower/rehap your boat this winter, I would use one of the vinyl boot stripe tapes. That way if your waterline is a little different from last year you can make corrections. The vinyl tape is easily removed by heating the tape up with a hair dryer or heat gun and using a cheap plastic putty knife.

05bill

Captain
Boat Make
rp, willis beal
stripe

I am going to raise my bottom stripe on my RP in the Spring, more weight due to added "stuff" over the years. I will simply bottom paint up to current bottom stripe,than tape the old black bottom stripe by an inch and paint over with interlux white after sanding lightly. Really dont mind the orange peel, rather looks nice to me.

05Bill

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Bump old thread. Anyone paint a boot stripe yet? Post some pics?

Top Bottom