Borg Warner 72C Series advice

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
I got a 72C 1.88:1 this is a reverse acting tranny so the input from engine is opposite to output.. The engine is Right hand and the prop is left hand..

the prop and engine are going to be replaced. would you replace the engine with a left hand ( stadard rotation) and make the prop a right hand.. or keep it simple and just replace the orginal config?.. the reason being the right hand rotation is about $1000 more than a left hand engine. thanks.

also will i then have to change the configuration of the belt driven pumps off the engine on the front end if I go with a left hand engine?

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
I got a 72C 1.88:1 this is a reverse acting tranny so the input from engine is opposite to output.. The engine is Right hand and the prop is left hand..

the prop and engine are going to be replaced. would you replace the engine with a left hand ( stadard rotation) and make the prop a right hand.. or keep it simple and just replace the orginal config?.. the reason being the right hand rotation is about $1000 more than a left hand engine. thanks.

also will i then have to change the configuration of the belt driven pumps off the engine on the front end if I go with a left hand engine?

I'll post this ? over on boatdiesel forum for ya !

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
From boatdiesel to me:

"Hi Bill

The input rotation can be changed. On the front of the trans is a plate that has to be rotated so that the oil pump works for a given rotation. There are arrows to show which way. Basically you turn the plate 180 degrees to change the rotation. On the raw water pump you change the in to out and vice versa for opposite rotation. Depending on engine the engine coolant pump may or may not have to be changed."

Pretty sure you can the instructions here

Velvet Drive Tips

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
From boatdiesel forum

"Hi Bill

The input rotation can be changed. On the front of the trans is a plate that has to be rotated so that the oil pump works for a given rotation. There are arrows to show which way. Basically you turn the plate 180 degrees to change the rotation. On the raw water pump you change the in to out and vice versa for opposite rotation. Depending on engine the engine coolant pump may or may not have to be changed."

Top Bottom