Bottom/Barrier info

RAMPAGE88

Commander
Ok, I have the bottom just about completely stripped to original gelcoat & am looking for info/advice on products & procedures moving forward. This boat is 17yrs old, never had barrier coat & shows no blisters or any other hull imperfections. I am lightly sanding the bottom with 60g to give it a profile for the new paint to get a good grip. I am leaning toward a traditional layup of barrier coat, topped with hard paint & then a coat of ablative. I have had a couple people recommend just going with a couple coats of a good hard paint, followed by a contrasting coat of ablative, being that the hull shows no faults. Any info is appreciated. What do you builders & finishers on this site do, or is your bottom work based on customer preference ? Thanks in advance for all contributions....Rick

IMG_0118.jpg

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46, 1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
Since you have gone this far why not spend a little more money and put on the barrier coat? You will get the peice of mind that the bottom will stay dry, your paint bond will be solid and you will also get resale value from your work. IMO don't waste you time putting a hard bottom paint on just go with the barrier coat and a multi season ablative. It will be more up front cost but save you labor down the road.

RAMPAGE88

Commander
Thanks for the input Blitzen, it's appreciated. I assumed a coat of hard paint while the final barrier is tacky would bond itself on & then go with ablative. What I'm nervous about is prep, getting the bottom clean & free of oils & waxes before starting. Thanks again

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
rampage,are you going to use intelux 2000E.....i have used it with good results....i guess....my old wayne Beal is now 17 years old and my boat now is 11 years old and i dont know of any problems.....man doesn't sanding that bottom suck???

RAMPAGE88

Commander
.....man doesn't sanding that bottom suck???[/QUOTE]

IT'S GETTING OLD FOR SURE !!!! SORE SHOULDERS/ I believe I will be going with the interlux

Eastporter

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
I used an Interlux product that is a "No Sand Epoxy Barrier Coat" that was easy to roll on. You have a window of time to apply the ablative bottom paint and it is supposed to chemically bond with the barrier coat. Apply two coats over the barrier coat for first time coverage. I used it and it worked well with no sanding at all.

Micanda

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Duffy
Hi Rampage I also used the interlux 2000 on my 36 Stamas which I striped with a razor blade (don't ask) I think i put on 4 coats alternating colors gray and white. It was a lot of work but worth it.:D

Tunascapes

Commander
I am a fan of the sea hawk paint brand two part barrier coat. It's supposed to be the only actual 100% water proof coating. Stuff is bullet proof on my small boat I beach all the time. The guy I use for soda blasting turned me on to it.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Just sat through a seminar with Sea Hawk. They're pushing their barrier coat product, it is a one to one product, so you're getting two gallons of product for their price, brings it down below inter protect.

Put the first coat on with a 1/4" nap roller and the second with a 3/16" nap roller, you'll have a much smoother finish. Just a tip

RAMPAGE88

Commander
The Sea Hawk product seems interesting. Read up on it a little yesterday. Thanks to all for your input........BTW Travis, I just saw the April picture in my Lobsterboat race calendar, nice shot.....

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
We still have some Maine Lobster Boat Races calendars available for purchase, at a reduced rate since we're already into '12.

I must say that April looks pretty damn good.

jawz

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
23 sea craft - 31 bertram
Hi Rampage I also used the interlux 2000 on my 36 Stamas which I striped with a razor blade (don't ask) I think i put on 4 coats alternating colors gray and white. It was a lot of work but worth it.:D

this is the correct way to apply barrier coat - alternating coats...you want a barrier thickness of 10mil.rolling it out in different colors,assures complete coverage.

RAMPAGE88

Commander
Finally ! Ended up going with the Seahawk Tuff stuff Barrier coat & thier Seahawk Monterey bottom paint. Barrier was great to work with. We'll find out about the paint as the season moves forward.....Sore shoulders, don't want to see a sander for a long time !

100_0347.jpg

100_0348.jpg

100B0440.jpg

RAMPAGE88

Commander
Thanks, heres a couple more shots, including the new winterback doors & windows. Starting to come together nicely. Looking forward to a great season, hopefully starting this weekend..................rest of the projects can wait till December.

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

Top Bottom