Bottom Paint Flavors

• Total voters

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Who has what protecting their hull from the onslaught that comes with having your boat exposed to water and all the wonderful exciting lifeforms out there that want to call it home?

I use Baltoplate by Interlux on mine.

duffy42

Lieutenant
I changed over to the Pettit water based ablative paint acouple of years ago. My brother uses it on his JC41, mine is a 42 Duffy cruiser. We both like it, and it seems to hold up well. Our seasons are short. Launch in May and haul in October.

unclefish

Commander
Boat Make
32 Mitchell Cove
i have used interlux micron csc has been good to me. But I have also barrier coated before with interlux. I did do my seavee with the seahawk stuff pretty good but I would use the interlux on the next one.

Tunascapes

Commander
We switched both boats to interlux bottomkote NT last season. It is an ablative that can be put over any types of older bottom paint. The stuff if great, you can feel everything let go at cruising speeds after about a mile if there is any growth. Just misted with a pressure washer in the fall and any slim ran off.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Mine might be a "write in." PPG Amercoat. Comes in a big bucket.

Eastporter

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
West Marine Ablative with copper- yearly redo

WC1966

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Webbers Cove 34
Switched brands this past season

Switched to Pettit HyroCoat, water based this year, Started w/one coat last spring as a trial to see how it compared to Interlux Micron CSC. Looks like a quick touch-up in places and the waterline
I am happy with the results
$129 w/a $20 rebate at Defenders.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

Captlvb

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.missbarnegatlight.com
Boat Make
235 Kencraft
Have Micron CSC on the boat now. The original paint job the dealer did came off in sheets after teh first 3 years. Was able to pressure wash and collect the paint chips for disposal. Then sanded it clean and went with Interprotect Barrier Coat and then 4 coats of Micron. 2 red with 2 black over top. When I see red it gets covered up. Pretty much just pressure wash and go.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I had my bowpicker for 20 years, bought and sold it with the same bottom paint. All i ever used was Clorox bleach and a garden sprayer. Did that about twice a season and that was from mid May to end of September.
I don't know whats on the new boat but its kinda rough and flaky in spots so hope it will just keep wearing off or i might give it some help coming off with a scraper.

MBILL

Commander
Boat Make
35 Duffy&Duffy
I've been very happy with the performance of Micron Extra on my 35 Duffy. The bottom's clean and I just touch it up before launch.

I think it's important to know where someone's located when talking about bottom paint. What may be good in the northeast may not be the best choice for Florida. I'm on Long Island N.Y.

SS Shamrock

Ensign
Paint

I use the Micron CSC with Biolux. The paint covers well and has great multi year protection. There is no slime build up either.

cobia23

Commander
First Name
Paul
I think E Paint should be at the top of the list. I started using the early formulation of EP2000 ten years ago and now use the Ecominder, which has provided excellent (near perfect) all-season ablative performance in mid-coast Maine. It also is reasonably priced, solvent free, approved for EPA use, and backed by excellent customer service.

X2 I live right down the street from the Epaint factory, I used to buy paint from them for my previous job, they were always great to deal with. I buy from them now just for my boat, but the service is still just as good as when I was buying 50 gallons at a time. Oh yeah, the paint works great too!!!

sidep

Lieutenant
I switched from micron csc about 3 years ago to Blue Water marine paint.Its called copper shield..It worked just as good or better than micron csc and it cost $106. a gallon...:p:p:p

Top Bottom