Bottom paint

55andoutt

Lieutenant
Boat Make
30sisu
My hull was barrier coated a few years back. I live in New Jersey and for the time being haul out for the winter. What I'm wondering is what is the best bottom paint to use . It has gotten really confusing. When I was a kid, you bought a gallon of a bottom paint .it was simple.. Now you need to take a course on the stuff, ablative ,warm water,epoxy ???? I don't want to spend 250 a gallon. I will if it is the way to go but I'm not sure:confused:;):confused:

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I always used Siperstein's brand bottom paint seems it had the most poison for the buck !! I'm with you on knowing what to buy now ???

fortier256

Captain
Boat Make
Fortier 26
I have used the $250 per gallon ablative paint for years. Got sick of the dollars and tried a gallon of the Jamestown Dist $99 stuff. Same or better results. Went on like latex right over the existing. Water clean up. Couldn't be happier!! This will be my 4th year with it. I put on one coat every year. The boat sits in Narraganset bay, pleasure use from May to October. Comes out as clean as / or better than with the old expensive stuff.

Bawugna

Lieutenant
I have been using Super Ship Bottom for years now and could not be happier. My original coating was Micron CSC about 14 seasons ago. I did the annual touch up to cover the tattletale coat that was showing. On the 5th season I did Super Ship Bottom. It is a Multi-Season HARD Ablative. I have never had a barnacle grow on the boat ever. I do not get the boat powerwashed at the end of the season and simply let is remain for 4 years at a time. This is my 5th year on this last coat and I am going to have it powerwashed and then I am going to paint it. A gallon gets me around the hull twice and that is it. It is nice to not even have to look at the bottom of the boat for years at a time :cool:

The colors are not all that pretty but the paint lasts and the copper content is high. This season I am going to get a quart of Micron to do the area from the turn of the bilge to the boot stripe. Interlux paints are so good looking :rolleyes:

Super Ship Bottom can be gotten from the MFG on the web for about 150 a gallon via the mail. It feels like cheap paint, not like velvet as Interlux paints do, and has to be mixed like crazy to get the copper off the bottom.

I highly recommend it and only do that because I have been using it with such great results and limited maintenace for so many years.

Good Luck

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
I have used the $250 per gallon ablative paint for years. Got sick of the dollars and tried a gallon of the Jamestown Dist $99 stuff. Same or better results. Went on like latex right over the existing. Water clean up. Couldn't be happier!! This will be my 4th year with it. I put on one coat every year. The boat sits in Narraganset bay, pleasure use from May to October. Comes out as clean as / or better than with the old expensive stuff.

I'm with you, I have a $100/gal. limit on bottom paint. I have used Petit Hydrocoat for the last 5-6 years with good luck. It is water based too. Usually $117. at Jamestown then $20. rebate.

All multi season paints are albative, but all albative paints are not multiseason. Meaning: if it doesn't say multiseason on the can, the paint left on the hull at the end of the season is "dead" just like the old bottom paints.

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
I have been using Super Ship Bottom for years now and could not be happier. My original coating was Micron CSC about 14 seasons ago. I did the annual touch up to cover the tattletale coat that was showing. On the 5th season I did Super Ship Bottom. It is a Multi-Season HARD Ablative. I have never had a barnacle grow on the boat ever. I do not get the boat powerwashed at the end of the season and simply let is remain for 4 years at a time. This is my 5th year on this last coat and I am going to have it powerwashed and then I am going to paint it. A gallon gets me around the hull twice and that is it. It is nice to not even have to look at the bottom of the boat for years at a time :cool:

The colors are not all that pretty but the paint lasts and the copper content is high. This season I am going to get a quart of Micron to do the area from the turn of the bilge to the boot stripe. Interlux paints are so good looking :rolleyes:

Super Ship Bottom can be gotten from the MFG on the web for about 150 a gallon via the mail. It feels like cheap paint, not like velvet as Interlux paints do, and has to be mixed like crazy to get the copper off the bottom.

I highly recommend it and only do that because I have been using it with such great results and limited maintenace for so many years.

Good Luck

Question what boat are you putting this on and what kinda speeds do you run?

Bawugna

Lieutenant
Masterenegade,

The boat is a Columbia II 25 Northsider. She cruises an honest 17 kt but on good days she flies at 19 :D I am in Cape May NJ.

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36 Hatteras/13 Whaler/24 Sailfish
All multi season paints are albative, but all albative paints are not multiseason. Meaning: if it doesn't say multiseason on the can, the paint left on the hull at the end of the season is "dead" just like the old bottom paints.

Aye sailor, I found this out the hard way in November. Bought the West Marine CPP put a gallon on the boat. First year she came out she maybe had half dozen barnacles on her...Resplashed her again for season #2 (eighteen months wet in two seasons) and my bottom was ABSOLUTELY COVERED in barnacles. A lesson to be learned once!

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Aye sailor, I found this out the hard way in November. Bought the West Marine CPP put a gallon on the boat. First year she came out she maybe had half dozen barnacles on her...Resplashed her again for season #2 (eighteen months wet in two seasons) and my bottom was ABSOLUTELY COVERED in barnacles. A lesson to be learned once!

Exactly how I learned, and the same paint too.

Bawugna

Lieutenant
Funny story, or maybe not so funny.

Years ago a friend at my marina was watching me do touch ups and then relaunching and said "I am going to do that this year" I said "you can't, you don't use the right paint for it"

A while after he launched the boat, his originally 26kt cruise boat could hardly do 20 without the engines screaming. He had the boat picked out of the water.....they blasted half of a 55 gallon drum of barnacles off it.

Gotta know the products you are using. :rolleyes:

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
what would you call warm the paint sounds great but were I am 70+ degrees in the creek all summer even using the boat 3x a week @18knts or so I still need to jump in and clean it.

July to sept I have to clean the bottom atleast every 3 weeks if not more. And thats with fresh paint every two years.

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Your speed and fuel bill with thankyou if you give her a scrub here and there.

Bawugna

Lieutenant
Just what the hell was he using - household latex paint or something...?

Nothing like that but I am pretty sure it was ACT or something similar, a single season paint that died over winter storage and offered no protectoin at all when relaunched.

Top Bottom