Bow rail repair

Beyond Tom's

Captain
Boat Make
31 JC
I need some advice with resecuring my bow rail. I know there is alot of moisture where it is screwed to the deck. Heard one idea, to drill with a 2 inch holesaw, through the deck and put a layer of glass underneath. Then add structural filler to the 2 inch hole. This would give fresh meat to screw into and be able to get rid of the balsa that is wet and rotted. Also to drill 1/2 inch holes to see how far the saturation is and then take balsa out. Then use west system with a caulk gun to fill. I want to do it right and be done with it. any advice would help.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
I believe I know the boat you are working on. Drilling a 2" hole from the bottom will most likely not be a option. Drilling the top skin will require major glass work. You rail is most likely not thru bolted.
I would remove the rail. next run a drill thru each hole and clean it out. Next I would fill each hole 1st with Git Rot. The stuff works great for small damaged core repairs. Once done & cured I would fill each hole with Hull & Deck Puddy. Lastly on the re-install I would thru bolt where I can reach & #12 Self tap the rest.
That JC toe rail has plenty of glass to hold a screw.

Beyond Tom's

Captain
Boat Make
31 JC
thanks larry. yes the boat was in Freeport. Norman owned it. I bought it from him last September. Ive been working on her ever since. Rebuilt the wheelhouse, refinished the teak gunwhales, installed some nice 250 watt lights. Its alot of work, but i enjoy it. gotta start fishing her soon.

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
Just pull the top of your boat off and flip it over to recore it . Piece of cake .

Hazletalan

Ensign
Boat Make
35 Maine Coaster
Tom
Did similar project on my boat 2 years ago. I did it very similar to Larry's suggestion. The boat yard i was in suggested after drilling out holes and drying to use an oak wood dowel covered in west system and placing dowel in hole. Then covered each hole with west system thickened with 406. I also tinted the west system close to my gel coat cover. Then sanded smooth. I never reattached the rail but after 2 years it is holding up very well. There is no sign of any moisture. If i were to reattach the rail, as Larry suggested thru bolt where possible, but use 5200 or similar when attaching self tappers.
Alan

Top Bottom