Bow Thruster Control Placement

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat General Discussion' started by morgan1727, Apr 11, 2019.

1. morgan1727

morgan1727 Senior Member

Is there a correct side of the steering wheel to place the bow thruster control? Does a single engine change the placement? I have never used one, but would think on the left side, so you could use the throttle with one hand and the thruster control with the left. But I also heard some like to use the right hand to do both the throttle and thruster control, left hand to move steering wheel. Looked on the Wesmac site and seems to be 50/50.

2. Fishco

Fishco Member

Your thought process is right on track. With the thruster, you should not have to touch the wheel so place it on the left side. You want to be able to use the thruster and your gear/throttle controls easily and at the same time. I usually have my wheel slightly over to port when backing into my slip and leave it there. I control my direction in reverse with the thruster and when in proper position for my starboard tie up, I simply kick the the boat forward which snugs in the stern and use the thruster to snug up the bow at the same time. You can see where I put the joystick in the pic. I can rest my hand on the dash for stability and simply use my thumb to control the thruster. It's all preference but works very well for me. Hope this helps. 20181121_121429.jpg

3. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
    I put mine on my dash at the center of the wheel and it was intuitive to use with either hand but I would vote opposite of the throttle/shifter as well.

4. aegus15

aegus15 Senior Member

Retired, local 17 Boston
    Boat Make:
    35 Duffy / 18 Eastern
    Fishco, that’s one clean and uncluttered dash ! Mine is right next to the shift/ gear controls ( came this way) .
    Don t like it there, both hands are too close , I like that idea of left hand on dash and using thumb to move thruster, will be moving it to center of wheel as you have there.

5. Blitzen

Blitzen Captain

Ex Merchant Mariner
    Boat Make:
    Flowers Boat Works 46, 1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
    I personally used the thruster to back into slips, while backing in, one hand for the wheel and the other for throttle and thruster. This way you don't have to change your body position, look over one shoulder and watch without having to move both arms to do throttle and thruster. Or set the wheel midships and just look over your shoulder and just use one hand.

Ballyhoo likes this.
  6. tunaorlater

tunaorlater Captain

LIPA lineman
    Boat Make:
    40' Northern bay
    I’ve done it both sides and feel opposite side of the throttle more comfortable. Rarely do you turn the wheel and hit the thruster at the same time so that hand is free.

7. johnp

johnp Member

I have a dash set up similar to Fishco except the thruster is on the far left side and mounted vertically. It's very easy to use in this position.

8. morgan1727

morgan1727 Senior Member

Thanks for the replies

9. ARC

ARC Senior Member

I stand backwards looking aft while backing into a slip. My rudder is very important to guide the stern. So I’m on the wheel in reverse. I would have liked it in the middle

Attached Files:

ARC,
  10. Paul Gavaza

Paul Gavaza Member

OCIMF SIRE Inspector Retired Chief Engineer
    The previous owner put mine ahead of the throttle. I am not sure I like it, but it is there. There is a switch for a stern thruster also which I removed.

Attached Files: