Box for below deck ice

Brunod79

Lieutenant
Lite User
Boat Make
28 Northern Bay

Tuna Hotline

Captain
If you have the depth, just put a cooler under the hatch. A lot cheaper and will work better. We always put a cooler full of ice in the tuna hold. Lasts for days.

leaky

Admiral
The insulated bag would sorta work, or to be cheap about it duct insulation works pretty good too - use bagged ice, or bag it, and use a couple layers..

But generally that box isn't really deep enough. Basically what you want for an insulated box is to open the hatch and to have another smaller hatch below that which is well insulated. It's hard to have the depth in a lot of boats until they get to 40 ft or so.

Brunod79

Lieutenant
Lite User
Boat Make
28 Northern Bay

Quik Fix 16

Captain
Boat Make
Shamrock
Search the bone yards for a drop in tub. I just made one for a 26 Shamrock and I have a few stock ones left. Post the measurements.

Brunod79

Lieutenant
Lite User
Boat Make
28 Northern Bay

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
With those dimensions if you used 2” insulation your only looking at a 40 quart hold. Doubt it’s worth the money you’d spend to have something built.

leaky

Admiral
Got a plan B. Put a cooler on the swim platform. Thoughts?

If you are tuna fishing you don't want the swim platform to begin with. Although they take up deck space, that's why you see so many boats with various sized bonar boxes against the winterback or right in the center of the deck. The smaller ones fit OK on a boat like you've got and they really take care of ice needs 100% in one place, with very good insulation. Coolers are really made so you can easily reach what is in them, not to store lots of ice well in a small footprint.

Brunod79

Lieutenant
Lite User
Boat Make
28 Northern Bay

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
they ain't that ugly, gray is the waterproof slush bag & tan is a fish brailer made of a mesh material that gets lifted out of the slush bag with a deck crane.
1621401646847.png

leaky

Admiral
Most tuna guys don’t like them because of the line getting shaffed. I got extra long rods and so far it hasn’t been a issue. I just got a cooler to use as a seat and threw a tote in the hatch for fluke, bonito, cod etc. just don’t think a cooler hanging off the platform is going to look good. Let’s see how that works this season.

I am not say you can't fish around it, but even trim tabs and stuff, anything there on the transom the preference is to avoid it. People catch plenty of them on outboard boats so obviously can be done just fine, although you will probably orient your end game more off the beam.

Top Bottom