Brand New 30 Calvin Beal

swboatworks

Lieutenant
This is the New 30 Calvin Beal, Ready for production!! L-30 W-12 Transom 11'6" Draft 42" She will swing a 28" Wheel

I know this photo is upside down but this is the plug. This is all we have for a hull photo right now. The color is different duratek that we sprayed the plug to fare. She looks like an Orka :D

30 plug.jpg

SoBoSlow

Ensign
Beautiful!! When is the first hull being delivered and what is the owner building it to do?

In the last set of pictures: the first picture looks like the chine comes on strong from about 1/3 of the way back (shadows?) in the last picture (taken from a little more forward) it looks more like the chine shows up about 1/2 way back. Either way it looks like almost a hard chine when it shows up. At cruise is it designed so the first 1/2-1/3 get out of the water and the boat will perform like a hard chine boat? Just trying to see the hull performing in the water in my head.

Last edited:

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
This is the New 30 Calvin Beal, Ready for production!! L-30 W-12 Transom 11'6" Draft 42" She will swing a 28" Wheel

I know this photo is upside down but this is the plug. This is all we have for a hull photo right now. The color is different duratek that we sprayed the plug to fare. She looks like an Orka :D

Stew,

Good to see you got the new 30 done!

Nice looking lines.
Interesting how the stern has some deadrise like a WESMAC and the hull looks like it has slight lifting chines built in about 1/2 way back.

Seems to me all of Calvin's hulls up to now with this new one are dead flat in the stern like most DEs.

Is the hull a pure Calvin design or were there one or two naval archs involved??

Have you done any calculations of the speed the hull is capable of and @ what power?

What will the helm top look like? New design or "off the shelf".

Looks like another hull consideration to "ponder" :D requiring QSB 6.7 power, figure minimum 425 hp.

Any idea on when hull/boat #1 will splash?

Regards, Bill D

Last edited:

scbob

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Provincial 42 "Spanish Wells"
Very nice, but it's not "built down" (a little joke for one half of the Downeast community...)

swboatworks

Lieutenant
Stew,

Good to see you got the new 30 done!

Nice looking lines.
Interesting how the stern has some deadrise like a WESMAC and the hull looks like it has slight lifting chines built in about 1/2 way back.

Seems to me all of Calvin's hulls up to now with this new one are dead flat in the stern like most DEs.

Is the hull a pure Calvin design or were there one or two naval archs involved??

Have you done any calculations of the speed the hull is capable of and @ what power?

What will the helm top look like? New design or "off the shelf".

Looks like another hull consideration to "ponder" :D requiring QSB 6.7 power, figure minimum 425 hp.

Any idea on when hull/boat #1 will splash?

Regards, Bill D
Hi Bill,Calvin did this design himself just like all his others. Very remarkable guy. We are going to build a top the way I want it,then mold it. There are many options with this boat. She should be in the mid 30s with a 420-450 hp or more. you can push numbers all day but the proof is in the pudding.
As far as the first splash, I would say about 4 months after you send me the check :p I have a bunch of folks interested. I am wanting one for my self. I am thinking the first one may be mine. depends on if I can convince the other half. We all knoew that story. Have a good day guys, Stewart

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Hi Bill,Calvin did this design himself just like all his others. Very remarkable guy. We are going to build a top the way I want it,then mold it. There are many options with this boat. She should be in the mid 30s with a 420-450 hp or more. you can push numbers all day but the proof is in the pudding.
As far as the first splash, I would say about 4 months after you send me the check :p I have a bunch of folks interested. I am wanting one for my self. I am thinking the first one may be mine. depends on if I can convince the other half. We all knoew that story. Have a good day guys, Stewart

Mid 30s? MPH correct?? not KNOTS ??
Nice!!!

Downeaster

Lieutenant Commander
East of Ellsworth here. I'm surprised at the speed expectations voiced here. No argument about Calvin's ability to walk on water but its going to take more than that to pull serious speed from this hull. Too wide. Too short. Too much keel. Too much deadrise at the stern. All of those points will shine in other areas (and I'm interested myself) but they will not contribute towards class-winning speed. On top of this that sweet spot (the successful meshing of weight/weight distribution - lifting area - horsepower) will be maddeningly small. Again, don't get me wrong, this is undoubtedly a wonderful design but I don't see her winning many races.

Top Bottom