Breaker panel- cockpit or in cabin?

ianbw

Lieutenant
Website
www.northforkoysters.com
Boat Make
Sisu 26
I am sketching out plans for the complete rewiring of my new to me Sisu 26. I am thinking of moving the main breaker panel to the helm bulkhead. The old switch panel is currently hanging (by a single screw) in the interior.

Having poked through several hundred pages of the DE pics to steal ideas...just curious what you guys prefer. I mostly come from sailboats where the bulk of the electric panel is below, by a nav station.

One thing that appeals to me about the breakers installed on the bulkhead is the easy clear access to the back of everything all at once.

Just because they are what I keep seeing, I am thinking about the Blue Sea waterproof breaker panels. Open to suggestions.

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
I like them just inside the companion way door,set back far enough so you don't turn off the breakers when you walk by them.They can be reached from deck easily,and are out of the weather,and easy to reach the back side..I have a commercial boat though and that is where I like the panel.I had the panel out in the bulkhead on an older boat,and I made a opening cover out of some mahogany and some plexi.It kept the switches clean and dry, and it covered the switches when walking by.

JimRP31

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Willis Beal/RP 31
Ian,

We just finished rewiring out SISU 22. The panel is just inside the companionway door. Out of the weather but easy to reach. I can take a pic if you want.

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36 Hatteras/13 Whaler/24 Sailfish
I got the blue seas panel myself with the watertight toggle switches on them with the fuses on it...a six banger unit....so far very happy with it.

All a matter of what works best for you...

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
my main is in cabin out of weather. have installed a 6 switch in cockpit for wash down pump, live bait well, floor lights, flood lights....like it ..:D

Top Bottom