Brockway Skiff Plans

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason

rjb724185

Ensign
I am very interested in putting a 14' Brockway together as the size is perfect for hauling a few traps in from the harbor, have had the use of an old carolina j14 for a few years now and worked well. Also the inland lakes all pretty much have a 9.9 restriction so the 14 footer would be ideal. Had a couple questions on the construction,

1. I have some access to some milled eastern hemlock, not sure if this suitable for framing or if it is just not very rot resistant as opposed to dimensional pine

2. On the bottom of the transom in the plans call out a 1/2" taper, was wondering about this as most of the pics I see it appears that the transom is flat, is the reasoning for the 1/2" v cut transom to better conform to the sides?

3. Was curious about how much rocker the skiff has aft, in the winter it would be nice to just power under oars just to have around the harbor as we tend to get a decent amount of ice. How does the design fare to rowing?

Thanks, and the pictures are very helpful and inspirational!

Ernie

Lieutenant Commander
Reach out to el mar on this site
Also talk to joe boat out of Westbrook ct just google him he built a 14 for his grandson a year or so ago
Super nice guy and an awesome boat hailer
If it was me I’d build the 16 footer
Good luck

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

rjb724185

Ensign
Thanks EL Mar! Sure a few more questions will come up, this is a great forum. Is the brockway Madchark turned into the bar a 14? Saw an earlier pic of it in the water with a center console on page 5 of the plywood skiff feed. A tiller will be utilized but that is general concept. Looked over the lys from baron from a friend and 16 definitely would be more spacious but not necessary for it's intended use as a compact utilitarian work skiff. Thanks!

ncdockmaster

Ensign
First Name
Scott
1.The Hemlock should be fine, I don't know much about using it for boats, but its just a Brockway.

2. The V at the transom ends up more like an arch after planing.

3. It rows OK but is flat bottom, hard chines.

The 16' is a very tubby boat, requires trailer. the 14 is better in my opinion.
El Mar
Are you building brockway boats
A 20’ brockway square nose boat
I need a replacement boat

ncdockmaster

Ensign
First Name
Scott
Hello
Is anyone building a brockway style plywood boat .
I live in ct shoreline and need to find a boat builder. Thank you

rjb724185

Ensign
Would you have any direction on where or how I could get some plans to build one . Thank you very much
Most of the scows generally seem to be built by eye. Utilizing the plans from the sound school, stretch the 16 to 20 or so, adding however much curve to the bottom forward and then pulling it together to achieve the desired front width with the sides braced to the frame mid. Not that helps with having a plan, but that's what I've seen. If your in CT you could check out the Shad Museum, they've probably got some to take measurements from.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

Shadman78

Lieutenant
We have an 18 scow at the CT River Shad Museum. It was Danny Russell's boat until he built his aluminum version. We will be open starting in mid April on Sundays from 10-2pm COVID permitting.

You can see the scow in the link below.

Drifter

Lieutenant
There is a 20' at mago pt in Waterford. Used as work boat. It's a tank

Top Bottom