broken 130 rods

starrfish

Commander
Boat Make
35 duffy
just curious as to how many out there have actually broken a 130 rod while on a fish?
and, how. was it in a station, chair, in the rodholder etc..

i have busted a few 50 class rods on stand up while sharking, just after the customer laid the rod against the rail (while fighting). so i cant really blame the rod for that.
anyone else?

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
I have broke all it sucks its on the up down game I fight all out the holders and 2 of the rods were 80 Chathams there to light for 130 reels broke a butt maybe 10 or so holders and a rod at the gimbull its a a bad day when that happens pucker up your ass and pray for the best

Hammer Slammer

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
I broke one this year in the center of the rod when we got em straight up and down. Fought the fish with the rod between my legs for 45 min till we stuck um. Needless to say I was a little sore the next day! Weighed 650lbs

Katelyn A

Lieutenant
Boat Make
42 Mussel Ridge
I broke a new chatham 130 between the the 3rd and 4th guide first time over the side with side with the rod. We were on in 15 minutes! Brought the fish to the boat my mate was ready to throw and BOOM! That fast it was all over.

Katelyn A

Lieutenant
Boat Make
42 Mussel Ridge
My rods are true Chatham 130s w/winthrop guides....Linda Greenlaw showed me she broke broke a short time after we did same guy made the rods...it happens....i really think it was just a void in the blank ....i have landed several fish after with the same rods

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
You guys all like the Winthrop guides I think its not worth the extra money when the aftco guides are great bullet prufe and need little maintenance if any in my eyes the aftco big foot are the best bang for you Buck for gbft fishing

Hammer Slammer

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
You guys all like the Winthrop guides I think its not worth the extra money when the aftco guides are great bullet prufe and need little maintenance if any in my eyes the aftco big foot are the best bang for you Buck for gbft fishing

I think the big deal with them is that you can reel your leaders thru them. And they cost a fortune so they must be worth it.

liden

Lieutenant
Broke one(five years old) after fighting the fish for two hours, down 13" from the tip.
Fought the fish for another twenty minutes, lost it in the rudder at boatside. There were fan- like grooves worn into the side of the rod by the line as the break was just above the roller guide.

Couldn't begin to tell you why it broke, only that the sound was like a gunshot

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
Broke one(five years old) after fighting the fish for two hours, down 13" from the tip.
Fought the fish for another twenty minutes, lost it in the rudder at boatside. There were fan- like grooves worn into the side of the rod by the line as the break was just above the roller guide.

Couldn't begin to tell you why it broke, only that the sound was like a gunshot
That sound is something that will make your ass pucker up for shore not a good place to be in the fight

rockfish

Lieutenant
Hand lines still work and you can whip a fish pretty quick. Give it a try there googinHater thats how we did it back in the day.

Drakes

Lieutenant
Broke two in one day. One was a Murray brothers rod. Reel seized up and rod broke in foregrip. Broke another three hours later fish was one circle away from being stuck and rod folded just above ferrel that was a local hooker rod.

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

JohnnyWalker

Ensign
Boat Make
WeSmac 42
Rods Breaking

Any rod can break if the spline is bent in the wrong direction or there is too much pressure on a section of the rod while under strain. I would think the majority of rods that break have been bent in the wrong direction; possibly if the swivel didn't turn smooth or fast enough or the Boat couldn't be spun fast enough to get the tip facing the run of the fish. They don't always cooperate as we all know.
We have broke a couple when someone try's to help an angler on a stand up fish and grabs the rod above the stripper guide and hence puts the pressure on the top section of the rod - SNAP!
Well made rods are made to bend throughout the length of the rod from Reel to tip.

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
Man 130s out of the gunell don't break from shit like that its stress or bad workmenship could be the blank or the rap just a bad day all together

Top Bottom